• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

phil the fox st pic is new to me...as its not there could you also post it on the fox st thread please...thanks phil

Last edited:
A postcard view of Gladys Road, Hay Mills.
View attachment 133457

There seems to be an incline on Gladys Rd towards the Coventry Road, so the picture looks to be taken from just up from the junction with Deakins Rd. The trees still survive and the large roof to the left may be around number 41. Can only see one example of the old castellated walls that were adjoining the pavement other than a the junction with Coventry Road.

Hi Lynn thankyou for the Clifton road pic, I used to live in Clifton road, between the printers and the shop we moved there from Defford road, we moved from there to Kingstanding. wish there were more pics of Clifton road, bye jose
Hi Josephine

I used to live in Clifton Road from 1956 until we moved to Kingstanding in 1969. We lived at 1/161 Clifton Road. Whereabouts did you live? Mike

st peters place and st martins place off broad st dated 1969

View attachment 117397

monument road/ledsam st ladywood dated 1960

View attachment 117398

clifton road aston dated 1969..i love this one its so busy..

View attachment 117399

heathfield road dated 1965

View attachment 117400
Wow my nan and granddad lived 145 Heathfield road and later they were vergers of Holy Trinity church where my brother and I were christened. They lived right opposite the church in Trinity house Birchfield road. Think this is Trinity Church.

Two derelict properties in Willis Street with a notice over the entry warning trespassers will be prosecuted. I can't read a possible court number on a plate over the entry but the houses are next to a shop apparently owned by Tom Smith and looks like loaves of bread on the shelves in the window.
Willis2.jpg

There is a Tom Smith, baker listed in Kellys. In 1888,1890 he is in Ellen st, in 1895 -1913 at 55 Darwin St. Cannot find him in Willis St. In fact, other than a Tom Smith, builder. he is the only Tom Smith (as opposed to Thomas) listed around that time

Well, looked at 55 Darwin St, on the os maps, and it is definitely not that. the ellen St address in Kellys does not give a number and it is not clear exactly where it is, so cannot determine whether building might be this

Back