• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

My first and only exploits with a camera were in 1954. When my family moved to Devon I spent six weeks in the Potteries. It got me out of the way and enabled the ditching of my BCT bus ticket collection and other things that youngsters collect.
I took many photos of pot banks (pottery factories), small entrenched parts of the Trent (rather like the Rea), Shelton steel works and some of the more impressive municipal buildings. In addition I got to know two delightful young ladies. Black and white of course.
I used my uncles camera and tripod - it was a good one as photography was his hobby - and used his darkroom to develop and print my efforts. On arrival in Devon I bought a cheap camera and continued taking some photos and developing and printing them but the interest in new scenery and subsequent RAF service at seventeen and a half put an end to it all.
I have never been a good photographer - my hands don't keep still :( - but my wife took many of our children, when they were young, using an old faithful box brownie.

Last edited:
You never know we might have been on the same train and in the same field asking photos Dave A.Did you call in the Cafe under the bridge.Great Days

Used to be a avid trainspotter .Lived in Kitts Green and was at Tamworth every Sat with my Brownie 127 .This was in the early 50s.Still got some photos developed at Jeromes
Might be worth uploading them to the Tamworth Field Trainspotting thread... it could alert a few old trainspotters on the forum ... :)

The photographer arrived and chalked 13-15 Allison Street on the wall by the entry and they watched as he took a photo. There seems to be a telegraph pole on the roof but a look round the back showed where it was.
13-15-AllisonSt.jpg

1-6 in Number 3 Court, Allison Street. A bowler hatted man seems to be checking something ...
1_5Crt3AllisonSt.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
The photographer arrived and chalked 13-15 Allison Street on the wall by the entry and they watched as he took a photo. There seems to be a telegraph pole on the roof but a look round the back showed where it was.
View attachment 133020

1-6 in Number 3 Court, Allison Street. A bowler hatted man seems to be checking something ...
View attachment 133021
he is checking to see if his mate ollie is here....

99-101 Hospital Street and a workman is busy pointing brickwork. Old clothes on sale at 101, A.H.Gold is a Designer, Modeller and Press Tool Maker, but what did Edgar A.J. Hooper do?
The house on the right has a stool propping open a sash window.
HospitalSt.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
Fox Street looking towards Buck Street which has a pub on the far left corner. Unfortunately no date.

I'm not sure whether the pic has been on before because it is difficult to search for 3 letter words. There is a an old Fox Street thread but the pic is not in it.
FoxStreet.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
I think it has been on before though not certain if I am confusing with another forum. I have a copy where it is described as 5,6,7 Fox St

Back