• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

The larger houses on Great Brook Street were the ones down at the Vauxhall Road end where Revsby Walk shopping centre now stands and once the Ashted Hamlet public house. Last time I was in the area the Ashted Hamlet had been demolished and half the shops were empty. I've always said what a great crime it was to demolish those houses along with the houses on Ashted Row.

Attached photos, the last days of the last house in Great Brook Street and the Army & Navy pub thats had a mention.

Well My House is going to remain very dusty over the next few day's,These photo's are absolutely wonderful....I'm totally in awe with them...Can't stop going through all of them,they really are amazing..Thank you so much for these Postings.,,,
I feel very much the same. I have been searching for particular photos from my family,s past. The Toons and the Wortons. I am feeling very nostalgic as the memories seep through my mind.

Great Western Railway Chain Horse helping another horse with a loaded flat trolley up the Pitsford Street slope from Hockley Goods Station in the 1930’s. At the top of the hill the ‘Chain Horse’ would be detached and returned to assist the next cart. In the background is the Hockley Inwards shed and Warehouse complete with 1930 extension to see this extension under construction from other side). A single horse was expected to pull about two tons on one of these trolleys. There was a box seat for the driver ten inches above the trolley floor level, but no mechanical brake. The canvas hood was secured to multiple arched hoops which could be repositioned to protect the load from inclement weather.

Attachments

• horses on gwr.jpg
    horses on gwr.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 75
Houses 16 - 23 Holland Street. A large building in the distance has what looks like an early type telegraph pole on the roof and a large chimney on the site. I often try to read the notices on walls and the second enlarged pic shows a notice about an Annual Meeting at Camden St Council School and Councillor Tonks, JP. is involved.
t16-23HollandSt.jpg

21_HollandSt.jpg
shoothill
The backs of these houses can be seen in the Courtyards and yards thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ourtyards-and-yards-of-brum.40378/post-642359

Last edited:
I am a little mystified by the numbering of this photo. Below is a map c1889. Numbering has not, as far as I can see been changed over period 1876 -1910 and was consecutive (1,2,3...). Yet directories say no 15 was on the north side , the last house numbered in Holland st next to charlottel st, and no 16 was the first numbered building on the south side next to George st. This does not seem to fit with the photo

map c1889  holland st.jpg

I am a little mystified by the numbering of this photo. Below is a map c1889. Numbering has not, as far as I can see been changed over period 1876 -1910 and was consecutive (1,2,3...). Yet directories say no 15 was on the north side , the last house numbered in Holland st next to charlottel st, and no 16 was the first numbered building on the south side next to George st. This does not seem to fit with the photo

View attachment 132898
I had problems matching the house numbers in the back yards with the house fronts seen in the street pic. The photographers almost always chalked the details somewhere visible in their pics but perhaps they have the street name correct but the house numbers not correct. From the maps it looks like the large building could be the New Hall Works on George Street.

A photo from the other end of Holland Street and again the photographer has chalked in 16-23 Holland St, rather faint to the right of first shop window. Two different women stand by the entry where the other women stood in the photo in #5411.
I suppose if he had already chalked in 16-23 at one end he would naturally chalk the same numbers at the other end.
x23-16Holland.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
A photo from the other end of Holland Street and again the photographer has chalked in 16-23 Holland St, rather faint to the right of first shop window. Two different women stand by the entry where the other women stood in the photo in #5411.
I suppose if he had already chalked in 16-23 at one end he would naturally chalk the same numbers at the other end.
View attachment 132901
As a
View attachment 132901
As a point of interest, look at how immaculately clean the pavement and road are in these old pics, kept that way by the women of the houses. Comparing it with our city streets of today, I fear we've fallen some way into slovenliness.

Lyn just going through the photos .Came across No84 Yardley Church.My friend lived in the house on the Left in1960 .His father Vic Saunders lived up the yard just past the bend were the Blacksmiths shop just sticks out.Great photo brings back memories.

In many of the 1950's/60's photographs on BHF there are scenes of empty, derelict houses and other buildings. It is a shame more are not of the preceding decades when they were inhabited or used.
The old Victorian/Edwardian photos whilst showing many homes, some ramshackle but occupied, there are also a few empty shops. Empty shops, it seems, are not just a recent phenomena.

Alan
It is probably only in the period after 1950 that the average person had a camera AND could afford to buy film for other than family events

I got into photography in 1975 when it would cost £4.36 to develop and print a 36 exposure 35mm film. My wages at the time were around £15.00 a week.

Back