• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Interesting photo, pit we can't see what the full title of the cigar guy was. Also the boy on the old pram seems to be in front of a shop or former shop. Here also the sign is obscured The For Sale sign looks, unusually high up on the wall..

Where is Rea St west.? 24 Rea St is the Anchor pub, still there, so not Rea St itself definitely. I cannot fit the picture with the buildings on the c1889 map below. Most on one side have gardens, and other side does not seem to fit. However I have another copy of the photo which states "St Martins Place, the passage on the left led down to the canal and gas st basin" The 1839 map below shows St Martins Place and Row being together and named St Martins Place, so the sign on the photo may refer to when it was named that, but actually be part of the west side of St martins row, which would fit with the description , the opening possibly being where the red arrow points

map c 1889 showing st martins placw and st martins row.jpga3b1.a3b2.jpg

Will ask some of my cousins pete, as they used to live in nechells. Will hopefully have a street name for you.
That's Rocky Lane, corner of Scholefield Street, Anthony's sweet shop on corner, just round the bend on left, Hughes paper shop and straight in front Nechells Green and the Beehive pub.

I could not find a 'Rea Street West' but it looks like Mike probably has the correct location on the maps in post#5344.
The oval court plate looks like 'Court 3' to me and I had wondered about 'Jacks Tea' and whether the Lime Juice they advertise was fresh ...:)

That's Rocky Lane, corner of Scholefield Street, Anthony's sweet shop on corner, just round the bend on left, Hughes paper shop and straight in front Nechells Green and the Beehive pub.
Thank you John. It did look familiar, but just could not remember the name of the road, as it has been many years since I have been down that way.

Shoothill have this pic tagged as 23 - 24 Rea Street West. A plate on the wall reads 'St Martins Place' and a Cigar Dealer has premises there.
View attachment 131902

Kelly’s for around 1890 and 1900 show both St Martin’s Row and St Martin’s Place starting at 81 Cambridge Street. The Row finishes at St Peter’s Row but the Place goes on to Broad Street. This may suggest that from Cambridge Street down to St Peter’s Row opposite sides had different addresses.

No luck looking for a cigar dealer, so what would go with the ——ory?

1E136025-E3B4-490F-BE39-2CF230EA54C4.jpeg

Kelly’s for around 1890 and 1900 show both St Martin’s Row and St Martin’s Place starting at 81 Cambridge Street. The Row finishes at St Peter’s Row but the Place goes on to Broad Street. This may suggest that from Cambridge Street down to St Peter’s Row opposite sides had different addresses.

No luck looking for a cigar dealer, so what would go with the ——ory?

View attachment 131911
I think it might be Chicory and Cigar Dealer but can't find that in Kelleys either

A photographer had set up his camera in Rea Street and some folks stood and looked at him. The house on the right is No 66 and the bricked-up derelict house on the far left is No 72. The second photo shows No 72 from a different viewpoint.
Numbers 66 - 71
X71ReaStreet.jpg

Numbers 72 - 71
X72ReaSt.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
Back