• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

How nice to see old places of my childhood , Brum holds a strong hold on my heart , All way's has and all ways will !!!!!
Pete Ex Pat

St Mary's Row, Moseley.
index.php

existing forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ingham-by-post-card.15768/page-96#post-610146

Post #5156 - Lyn, on that thread you gave BB a link to there is a lovely picture of The Bishop's House in Bath St. It was a dreadful act of vandalism to demolish this house wasn't it? I often wonder what Pugin would think of his cathedral now, instead of rising from the neighbouring buildings it sits in the middle of a maze of modern roads.

Does anyone remember Saint Paul's Square?View attachment 77152These are old office units. The corner towards the car is the top of Ludgate Hill, Saint Pauls Church would be to the right of the picture. The offices on the end where the scaffolding lies, were at the time of this picture architects. This project was meant to be rather new offices or a club.
I used to drink in the St Pauls Tavern around the corner from about 71-76 it's a bit different now I think there's a Restaurant on this site now

hi williamstreeter i am only assuming you are from william st lozells...if so we do have a thread for it with lots of pre demo photos that you may not have found

lyn

I'v been trying to decide where to put this picture. I thought I'd park it here and then it could be moved if necessary. Erdington Market, late 1920's. It must be Sutton New Road in the background. I understand the market moved to the other side of the road, its present position, possibly when Woolworths was built?
I don't think Sutton New Rd was cut through till later, possibly late 1930's. However, it could be where the road was built, those houses in the distance could be York Rd, not sure whether Machin Rd was built then. I'll look at some old maps I have access to.

I don't think Sutton New Rd was cut through till later, possibly late 1930's. However, it could be where the road was built, those houses in the distance could be York Rd, not sure whether Machin Rd was built then. I'll look at some old maps I have access to.
I always understood that the Erdington Bypass, Sutton New Road opened in 1938.
Bob

74-80 Dartmouth Street showing houses in poor condition. There is a photo on the forum showing a view behind these houses.
72-84 DartmouthSt.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
Tram route 2, to Erdington, commenced running along Sutton New Road in September, 1938. As the road was new and I believe one of the main reasons for it being built was to rid High Street of trams and the congestion caused by them, I think it plausible to believe the new road incorporated tram tracks when built.

The photographer is standing in Lickey Road looking towards Birmingham where the Bristol Road turns off towards the west. Buildings of the the Austin Motor Co Ltd on the right. The hump in the road behind the bus is the bridge over the Halesowen Branch line and ten bar telegraph poles stretch towards Birmingham. No date but probably pre 1920.
BristolRdAustin.jpg

A picture of Coventry Road looking towards the city and from detail in the pic I would guess a date circa 1905. Some interesting people in the scene and stock clearance in a furniture shop.
Cov_Rd1905.jpg

OldMohawk....how do you do that ....., take a black and white photograph and change it to colour ?, Is there a programme you can buy, or is it hours of pain taking filling in the colours....

Hi aston lad,
I mentioned how I do it in the Hobbies thread see the link below. I do it just for amusement using a free program Gimp. I do simply add colours and leave the program running and do a bit at a time. I rarely use masks as the professionals would do. The sky is probably the tricky bit and most old street pics are not high res so that doesn't help. What attracted me to this latest pic was the elegantly dressed lady walking along carrying nothing ...
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/hobbies.46731/page-5#post-605541

I would hazard a guess that the area known as Aston has more entries on here than any other part of the city. Quite a few people with Aston connections post here regularly. A search should reveal much I am sure.

I would hazard a guess that the area known as Aston has more entries on here than any other part of the city. Quite a few people with Aston connections post here regularly. A search should reveal much I am sure.
Thank you for getting back to me. I noticed your photo had a steam train on it, I recently took my mum for a birthday treat on the Severn Railway for lunch, it was a nice few hours.

Thank you so much for the link. I saw some photo's which I guessing were post war and into the sixties. When I visited that neck of the woods about 10 years ago, it looked completely different to the photo's.

Elaine,

As they say, the Search Forums button is your friend as most pictures are now very much filed by street name and occasionally duplicated in threads like Old Pics. On the ground today you are sometimes pleasantly surprised by what does remain, but the clearances of the 1960s were pretty devastating to historians. Good luck with your hunting! :)

Maurice

Back