• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

I took a lot of slide pics in the 1970s and got them into a computer by doing the following.
Short piece of wood
Fixed a digital camera to it with blue tac etc
Set camera on 'macro'
Made some card to hold the slide vertical about three inches from the lens.
Fixed a diffused light source behind the slide battery and bulb
Pressed the camera button focus and took a pic.
Did about a hundred shots very quickly by just changing the slides.
Example images can be seen in a couple I put on the forum here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...olidays-in-woolacomb.16566/page-6#post-459456
The slightly dark corners were actually on the slides.

I've got an Epson photo/slide scanner so if you could get the slides to me I'd be happy to scan them for you.
Alternatively as you have a projector you could project them onto your screen and use your camera to photo the pics on the screen

The "Golden Hind" is still moored in Brixham harbour. The paintwork is a little different now and the ship has different owners. I have never been on the ship as a visitor but have been on it, quite a few years ago, to small fires on board. Sadly a monkey and a parrot, if memory serves me correctly, died in one of the fires. It is a replica sailing ship, not an original, and has a Thames barge keel.
Brixham is more famous for building the Mayflower II galleon, in 1956, from where it sailed, in 1957, to Plymouth, Massachusetts where it still resides. Both my father and (at the time future father in law) were involved in it construction.

Thanks OldMohawk, this is sort of what I did but I used the open Word doc as my light source. Not sure about the 'slide battery and bulb' bit though. Also I don't think my camera is up to the task although my phone normally takes good pictures. Do you know what caused the 'texture' on the pictures please? I'd like to have another go.

Thanks Eric, my husband (who you met at the Christmas meet) did suggest the screen/projector/camera way forward but if this doesn't work I will definitely take you up on your offer. We're not too far away from you.

Thanks OldMohawk, this is sort of what I did but I used the open Word doc as my light source. Not sure about the 'slide battery and bulb' bit though. Also I don't think my camera is up to the task although my phone normally takes good pictures. Do you know what caused the 'texture' on the pictures please? I'd like to have another go.

Thanks Eric, my husband (who you met at the Christmas meet) did suggest the screen/projector/camera way forward but if this doesn't work I will definitely take you up on your offer. We're not too far away from you.
I think the texture on the pics is because you are photographing a computer screen and picking up the individual pixels.
Eric's suggestion of photographing a projector screen should work because there are no pixels.
The light source I used on the camera method I previously described was from small slide viewer which had a bulb, batteries, and diffuser. It was the type in which you pushed a slide in and could view it magnified. I took it apart and set it up opposite the camera.

Are you mixing me up with the other Eric, I've not been to a meet yet?

Lady P,

Expenses will always expand to consume all available income! No matter how you attempt to plan your finances, the gremlins will always endeavour to ensure that their law is upheld. :)

Maurice

john & e sturge also had a chemical plant in lifford lane kings Norton. the wheelys rd site became offices and sturge automation I believe in the 60s. I worked for the company from 1979 until 2012 the company kept changing hands bohringer,rtz,rhone polenc and is currently owned by an American company specialty minerals, hope this info is usefull

john & e sturge also had a chemical plant in lifford lane kings Norton. the wheelys rd site became offices and sturge automation I believe in the 60s. I worked for the company from 1979 until 2012 the company kept changing hands bohringer,rtz,rhone polenc and is currently owned by an American company specialty minerals, hope this info is usefull
i worked at sturge rhone plenk 80s 90s small world which part did you work in ?

Sorry Eric Gibson, A case of mistaken identity. Put it down to my age! Maybe we'll meet up at a future date.

Old MoHawk - I understand about the equipment now. I will certainly try the projector/screen way before I invest in a scanner. (See below). My friend came up with the city centre photos but several are of the newly built Rotunda which I'm not keen on. A couple are good and once I get organised I will post those too. Busy time ahead I think!

Sospiri - how right you are! I got into my car on Tuesday and it refused to start. We had to buy a new battery!

Not sure if this has been on before. We took it on a walk around the Hurst Street area and it looks like a pub / hotel. Can anyone put a name to it please?

Attachments

• PICT0012r.jpg
    PICT0012r.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 118
Hi Everyone - we've spent some time getting most of the slides copied. I've just posted some on the Salford Bridge thread and I'm not sure if that's the right place. Do you think they should've been on this thread?
Anyway, I can re-post them if you think that would be better. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Meanwhile - these were taken from the roof of Ansells Brewery in 1963. The first two I posted before when I was asking for advice so I hope you feel that there is an improvement.
Apparently the garage to Ansells Brewery was on the roof and there was only room on the ramp for one vehicle at a time. A horn had to be sounded - one parp for up and two for down (or vice versa). Strange place for a garage. These were taken by a friend's father as he worked at Ansells.
First one is looking towards the city and the second towards Salford Bridge - you can just make out the chimneys on the skyline.
Third is the site of the new TI building and fourth is the finished article.

Attachments

• P2260008 (2).JPG
    P2260008 (2).JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 150
  • P2260029 (2).JPG
    P2260029 (2).JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 146
  • P2260121 (2).JPG
    P2260121 (2).JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 145
  • P2260113 (2).JPG
    P2260113 (2).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 143
pen if the others are of salford bridge then leave them on that thread just popping to take a look at them...no objection though if you want to post them on here as well...one word from me

STUNNING....just goes to show that these old photos are still out there...thank you

lyn x

cant beat the old uns can we phil...pen i have replied to your pm sent for advise...what a star you are:)

Almost the last of the slides now. City centre in 1967. Lots of parking metres.
What an unusual view of Victoria Square and New Street, quite a different angle of both to those normally seen, thanks for these views, obviously from the bus in the sixties but at least I can remember some of them

Bob

Thanks for all the nice comments. My friend Diane went out with her Dad on a Sunday morning to take them. I will pass your comments on.

I like that view up Corporation Street, no lamp posts with the lights on cables across the street. Reminds me of my younger days.
:)

IMG_1475.jpg

Not sure this is the right thread, but came across this picture of Dartmouth Street in 1957 from The Sphere.

Back