• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

The tag with this image says 40,42 and 44 Northwood Street. Looking closely at the metal plate over the court passage suggests it is 'Court 1' but not definite. The substantial factory-like building on the left does not seem to be anywhere on the street today. A close up of the people in the photo with comments is in another thread here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...our-old-street-pics.41947/page-99#post-580529
Northwoodfull.jpg
image is from the Shoothill site.

Have enlarged the court number (from earlier part photo), and negatised (is that a word) it.This makes it look like 17. Have estimated where 40.42 & 44 were on c1889 map. You can see from the map that court 17 is next to no 44

Attachments

• near 42 Northwood Street.court no nagative.jpg
    near 42 Northwood Street.court no nagative.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 53
  • map c 1889 showing 40 &  44 northwood st.jpg
    map c 1889 showing 40 & 44 northwood st.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 54
IMG_1147.jpg
Have enlarged the court number (from earlier part photo), and negatised (is that a word) it.This makes it look like 17. Have estimated where 40.42 & 44 were on c1889 map. You can see from the map that court 17 is next to no 44

The advert from 1866 above would probably refer to no. 17 and not court 17?

34-38 Northwood Street c1900 showing the Carpathian Manufacturing Co.
index.php

from the Shoothill Collection and image only visible if logged in

Last edited:
Lennox St. Was it Gosta Green? Not sure. Posted to Facebook by my cousin.

Attachments

• Lennox St.jpg
    Lennox St.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 57
What an interesting theme one simple but brilliant photo has spawned, but can someone tell me what is the Shoothill collection?

Bob

Hi Ray T, yes at first reading your thread i thought you was mistaken as i knew of the Bakery and of the old lane
and yes you are correct it was Hawleys bakery, and when they left they went to west bromwich
opersite the Albion ground and after afew later they change and was almigated and renamed united bakeries
i do not know what they are called now
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,

yes carol,even with bradfords whom i forgot to mention if you got there at the bakery, to be quite honest
it was a regulal and well known thing if you are from the right quarter of society parden the expression
and the big gates would be open and you would see all the trucks being loaded up by the drivers
and they would have to walk right back of the ware house section meaning stores
to and from when they was loading up in those days at moseley road and what you would do if loking for abit of coppers
asked the drivers if they needed help in loading up there trays of bread and cakes into there vans
even the stores managers would come to the gates looking for able bodies whom wanted to earn a couple of bob
they only took a handfull of men if you was lucky and got there early you was in with a chance
you would get a 10 bob note it was the same when hawleys taken over
afew later if you went to lodge road where there even big bakery was scribbins you could get a nights casual for 25 quid
but it was hard because there would be about fifty blokes hanging out side the gates but more often than not
these guys was regular and the drivers got to know them and kept them nightly
a matter of fact we have a local national dairy just down the lane from us in worc where i live
they are a well known house branded name can,t advertise there name on here
but with out getting of the subject of trade working of bakerys , dairys , are in the same line of activitiy
by people coming to the gates looking for casual labour only its not evening down here its five in the morning
hoping to get abit of casual couple of hours of them
so that kind of business is been going on for donkeys years , ican tell you that practice when they moved to west brom was on a mulity
scale for casual labour loading the vans best wishes Astonian,,,,Alan,,,,,

I did a Saturday bread round job at Bradfords for a couple of years from when I was 13 until I left school, the bakery was in Norton Street Hockley at that time.
The round we did was all around Hockley, Handsworth and Aston, one of the calls was at the block of flats in Hampstead Road.
There was a blind lady there who always came to the door and gave me a penny, she used to say it's not much but if everyone gave you one and you saved it you'd soon be rich.
I used to get 7/6d for the day and tips, bought my first new bike from Knights of Kingstanding with the money.
The man I worked with was a Wally Smith a very nice chap with a really good sense of humour.

One bakery I recall was on Stratford Road more or less opposite the Mermaid.
There were, I suppose countless small 'one-man' bakeries in every village, town or city in Britain. Some did have delivery rounds often horse drawn carts and later motor vehicles. Many people preferred to deal with smaller companies than the larger ones. In many places and I suspect the smaller bakeries in Birmingham were no exception people often made use of the hot bakers ovens - after the bread had been baked of course - to cook the meat and Sunday meals. It was certainly common in Devon.

One bakery I recall was on Stratford Road more or less opposite the Mermaid.
There were, I suppose countless small 'one-man' bakeries in every village, town or city in Britain. Some did have delivery rounds often horse drawn carts and later motor vehicles. Many people preferred to deal with smaller companies than the larger ones. In many places and I suspect the smaller bakeries in Birmingham were no exception people often made use of the hot bakers ovens - after the bread had been baked of course - to cook the meat and Sunday meals. It was certainly common in Devon.

In the 1950s, when my family lived in Long Street, Sparkbrook, there was a bakery round the corner in Kyrwicks Lane owned by old Mrs Wallace. It was just a house converted into a shop so her wares could be displayed in the window. Whether Mrs Wallace did all the baking, or whether there was a Mr Wallace behind the scenes, I don't know. I do know her "thatched loaves" were lovely. When my older sister or me were sent to collect one, we'd pick a small hole in it on the way back and scoff as much of the insides as we could, hoping the resulting hollow would look like it was made during the baking. Well, we were always hungry back then!

Regards, Ray T

Hi Ray I remember Mrs Wallace the baker on kyrwicks lane They used to deliver bread locally in one of those three wheeled wicker basket trolleys..It takes you back! I also remember a barbers shop next door but I can:t recall a name. Roy.

Hi Ray
Speaking of that area do you or anybody else probaly phil , might reacall the baker and cake shop on Ladypool road
around that time by the name of trippas bakery
there in the early years lasted up until about 1971 evenhe changed hands or it closed down
i recall his name and my wife used to work for him many years ago but i cannot reall what happened yo him and the shop
best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,;;;;;

Alan, I think it was Frank Tripas and was on the corner of Ladypool Road and (I think) St Pauls Road. Use to make amazing pork pies. I was still there up until 1980 ish, then changed hands to a sweet shop. The building is still there.

Hi Ray I remember Mrs Wallace the baker on kyrwicks lane They used to deliver bread locally in one of those three wheeled wicker basket trolleys..It takes you back! I also remember a barbers shop next door but I can:t recall a name. Roy.

Nice that you remember Mrs Wallace too, Roy. I don't remember the barbers' shop next door, but I recall her little shop was about opposite the Railway pub which was on the corner of Montpellier St and Kyrwicks Lane. I didn't know she did deliveries either, but we only lived a couple of minutes' walk away.

Regards, Ray

Hi Ray I think there was a fish and chip shop in that row of shops as well.Roy

I'm sure you're right about the fish and chip shop near Mrs Wallace's bakery, Roy. For some reason I can only remember the one run by "Hicky" (I suppose his name might have been Hicks) down the other way in Spark Street. I remember Hicky in his white coat with a heavy build, a crewcut and a bull-like neck. Most times we'd ask for "scratchings" (scraps of fish batter) as a freebie. And an occasional delicacy were "scallops", which I seem to remember were just thick cuts of potato fried in batter. "Faggots and mushy peas" were another treat. Of course, he served everything wrapped in newspaper and saturated in salt and vinegar. We wouldn't have had them any other way!

Regards, Ray

Last edited:
Great picture. I wonder if anyone remembers the old training centre on Tanworth Lane Shirley. It was called 'The Sans Souci' training centre. Some or even a single shot of it would be fantastic. Asking for a friend. Regards everyone. Cheers Redken

Hi Ray
Speaking of that area do you or anybody else probaly phil , might reacall the baker and cake shop on Ladypool road
around that time by the name of trippas bakery
there in the early years lasted up until about 1971 evenhe changed hands or it closed down
i recall his name and my wife used to work for him many years ago but i cannot reall what happened yo him and the shop
best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,;;;;;
The shop was owned by my wife's late uncle Frank Trippas and, after he retired, his son Roy ran it until it closed when he retired.

Hi Brian 1,
many thanks for infoming me ,also my dear friend morton, by the way morton when the weather comes back in the spring
we must take on that walk of the cut ,we both promised ok ;
brian when did frank retire and when was it when ray taken over,
my wife worked for them in the early seventys
i think we did have a photo of the shop some where its been many years since we tucked it away ,
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,

I remember Trippas Bakery on the corner of Ladypool Road, they baked wonderful bread, I always called in for a large cottage loaf when I was down the Lane. They tell me the cakes were great as well but never being a cake eater I wouldn't know personally, but I'm sure they were.

Attachments

• City Ladypool Rd Trippers Bakery.jpg
    City Ladypool Rd Trippers Bakery.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 70
Back