• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Whoa a bit Wobag! Could you post both please...separately....me eyes and brain is too old to see the transitions clearly..? Be very grateful...must say I think this is a very novel and original way of looking at history for me anyway...LOVE it....!

Last edited:
Brilliant Wobag! For those that want to study it a bit more, maybe a longer time lapse between the images? And if you plan to do more of them, maybe a new thread? Think they're absolutely fascinating. To make this comparison manually would take much more individual time and effort, so you've saved us a lot of time. Many thanks. Viv.

Thanks, this is a second one I made at the same time, if I do more I will experiment with timing. This one is of the Bullring, 1890 vs today...

1nuLbAw.gif

That's a great one too Wobag. Shows clearly how Moor Street was diverted from its original course to make way for them Bull Ring. Was that in the 1960s or for the more recent redevelopment? I only use iPad now, and if I hold my fingers on the map it keeps it from changing until I'm ready to compare it with the other map. Then I take my fingers off and ..... Magic! Viv.

After reviewing a 1990s road map, the changes to Moor Street were part down to the 60s version and part the recent version. In the 60s, the modern double sided Moor street was cut off at the point you see, and flowed into the new St Martins Circus that ran around the part of the bullring that had the gardens in it. There also appears to have been a small section of the original Moor Street left.

The current path where Moor street bends immediately around Moor Street Station, down the side of the Selfridges building and joins Park St appears to be part of the newest development. Ill try and find a better map to show that.

Two postcards of Aston Cross. Difficult to imagine this today as the junction has completely changed. But where was the photographer standing? Rocky Lane? Aston Road North? Lichfield Road? Or has the clock been moved? Today, there's still a pub standing from the period (but now residential). But maybe the pub isn't in shot unless it's one of the buildings to the right in the postcards. Viv.

View attachment 101666View attachment 101667

I am sure I remember Aston Cross from my childhood but seem also to remember the smell of the brown sauce factory. Wasn't that nearby??

Katrina

HP sauce was just to the left of those two photos just off Park Lane between Aston Cross and the A38 Expressway. Which Cross Keys are you asking about.

Attachments

• Aston HP Sauce.jpg
    Aston HP Sauce.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Aston HP Sauce Factory 1952.jpg
    Aston HP Sauce Factory 1952.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Aston HP Sauce Park Street.JPG
    Aston HP Sauce Park Street.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 94
Many thanks for your prompt reply Phil. There was certainly a distinctive smell from the factory, does anyone else remember it?? The Cross Keys was a pub that my dad ran but that might have been nearer to the Bull Ring. But he also at one point ran a pub at Cross Keys it might have been The Eagle???

HI Devon JIM
PART CORRECT ; YES IT WAS ON HILL STREET BUT IF WALKING DOWNFRON THE TOWN HALL ITS ON YOUR RIGHT ; AND YES WALKING UP THE HILL ITS ON YOUR LEFT COMING FROM STATION RD AND WALK UP THE HILL STREET BEST WISHES Astonian;;;

HI Devon JIM
PART CORRECT ; YES IT WAS ON HILL STREET BUT IF WALKING DOWNFRON THE TOWN HALL ITS ON YOUR RIGHT ; AND YES WALKING UP THE HILL ITS ON YOUR LEFT COMING FROM STATION RD AND WALK UP THE HILL STREET BEST WISHES Astonian;;;

Walking UP Hill Street, the GOLDEN EAGLE was on the left hand side. I did play there, with a very fine guitar player named Alf Brough, who also worked, at various times, at both Mansells & Woodroffes Music Stores.

The Golden Eagle had a black stone facia, if I remember correctly.

Eddie.

HI KATRINA;
THE PUB YOU SAID YOUR DAD RAN NEAR THE BULL RING ;
AND YES IT WAS THE CROSS KEYS 91 JAMICA ROW; AND THE CORNER OF SHERLOCK STREET
AND YES IT WAS an ANSELLS BREWERY PUB [ AN ANSELLS HOUSE
WHAT YEAR CAN YOU RECALL THE YEARS ;
I CAN TELL YOU A LISTING I HAVE ARE AS MANAGERS G.J, BUNN 2,J,W. JESSON .
MY GRT GRAND FATHERS AND FAMILY RAN A PLACE IN JAMICA ROW CALLED THE BANNA OVENS ;
BEST WISHES Astonian;;;;; ALAN;;;

During my family research we found someone born at Aston Cross I took that to be a district. Was it at one time which would have been circa 1890 or perhaps still is?

Back