• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Lyn

The Old Guy was at 57 Digbeth, which would on fact be under the Coach Station as you say.

Fascinating Mike and Lyn....heres a couple you've probably seen before...The Rose Tavern was where the Police Station is, corner of Allison Street, then there used to be an old pub on the opposite corner to that - The Horse and Jockey....so many pubs down Digbeth/Deritend High Street....some of the oldest marked here...on the 1751 Map...The White Hart and the Castle and Falcon...

Rose Tavern  Allison St  1890.jpgHorse and Jockey  Deritend.jpgDigbeth Map  1750.jpg

thanks den lovely pics...according to mike the beehive pub was where the police station now is...

phil thats correct the old guy was at no 57 thats the address on my grandads marriage cert...

The Rose tavern was at no 119 on the corner, and the Beehive was at 115 , which would be on the site of the other end of the frontage of the station

Hi all,

Great thread, some smashing photos. I wonder if anybody can help? I'm working on a digital project which traces the history of the Jewellery Quarter and some of the wider Hockley area through the use of trails, which can be followed using mobile devices. This is a not-for-profit project which will enable users to access the content for free.

One of the features on a trail is the Hockley Abbey. I'm trying to locate a picture of the abbey to use on the trail, but am struggling at the moment. Can anybody help provide an image which is either out of copyright or can be provided in exchange for a credit on the site.

Many thanks in advance.

Matthew

Hi all,

Great thread, some smashing photos. I wonder if anybody can help? I'm working on a digital project which traces the history of the Jewellery Quarter and some of the wider Hockley area through the use of trails, which can be followed using mobile devices. This is a not-for-profit project which will enable users to access the content for free.

One of the features on a trail is the Hockley Abbey. I'm trying to locate a picture of the abbey to use on the trail, but am struggling at the moment. Can anybody help provide an image which is either out of copyright or can be provided in exchange for a credit on the site.

Many thanks in advance.

Matthew

Matthew. Welcome to the Forum. If you are looking for a particular subject you will need to use the Search facility at the top right of the screen. I suggest you post you request on the Hockley Abbey thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2962&highlight=hockley+abbey

There were pictures of Hockley Abbey on that thread but some time ago this Forum got hacked and we lost the picture but your request is more likely to be answered on that thread

Why are there two sets of weighing scales on the porch of the hotel? An observation, I think there maybe two auto cycles leaning against the porch above the word 'hotel'.
Appropriate as this was an Auto Cycle Union hotel in 1909.
Viv.

Maybe the two sets of scales were one for those going "in" to enjoy the fayre and the the "out" to indicate how swelling the fayre had made the indulger? Alternatively, one set of scales was the the gents and the other for ladies? (with the ladies' scales 'adjusted' in order not to reveal an indiscreet figure?)

Hi I wonder if anyone knows anything about John Roberts in this lovely photograph

i had a grandfather named John Roberts he was born in Stratford upon Avon mothers maiden name was Eva canning.
probably not the one but I have to ask you .thanks..

Another nice one I've not seen before...and one I think has been on recently...the junction of Paradise Street with Easy Row....turn on the Century perhaps, from the fashions...? and that little shop to the right of the Pharmacy in the first pic looks fascinating from whatever is above the door??

Paradise St Easy Row Junction copy.jpg Easy Row Broad St corner old.jpg Old Wharf 1902 map.jpg

Last edited:
You don't often see detailed posters like that on older photos (re the first photo: The Birmingham New Building Co Ltd) explaining the plans for the new development. The plan seem to be for new shops (including a new pharmacy) and offices to be built on the site between the Woodman and the Garden Restaurant. Dennis I think the thingy above the shop doorway might be another one of those 'by appointment' shields. Birmingham seems to have had many at one time. I presume the building next door to that is the lovely old Woodman. But can t see any trace of the Garden Restaurant. Very nice photo. Viv.

john bright street.jpgviv you have just reminded me of this pic i posted about 3 years back...you may have seen it...plenty of posters on this one..

Brilliant old picture of a brummie pub. Would love to have one of the Bull in Price street if any are found.
Katrina

Loved this old pic of the Navigation Inn in Wharf Road, Kings Norton from 134 years ago (1880)! Just been saved from demolition I gather....https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...birmingham-pub-the-navigation-in-kings-189635

View attachment 95231

What a great photo Dennis. There's a couple of rather cocky characters there to the left. Clay pipes still in use too. And a matronly lady refusing to give up her crinoline in favour of the safer dresses which subsequently came into fashion, I suppose this was a country pub at that time. And it's saved because locals 'have thrown everything they have' at saving it. A great result. Viv.

smashing photo den and just goes to show that people power can work if enough care about a building....well done to them all i say

lyn

Last edited:
#3969,, I just love these type of old photo's, I stare at them for ages, trying to guess their ages, trades, status, were any old soldiers, possibly at the Crimea, or Zulu war, or of course NW Frontier of India, non I don't think would be old enough to have been at Waterloo/ Trafalgar. Paul

Wow...a tremendous aerial view of the Bullring development.....Market Hall and Worcester Street just about still there, pre Rotunda..beginnings of Smallbrook Queensway...Exchange and Queens Hotel still there....Hipodrome Tower...extensive markets etc....Brilliant find for me...

Bull ring and Staion aerial .jpg

Back