• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Yep, looking at that I am sure you guys have it right. It just looked too sharp a curve to me in the old photo but not so. Funny now, the old photo has more of a feel of Highfield now, after comparing, than Google does. Yeah...Malthouse Lane and the houses on the immediate right were larger ones set back and higher. If you look at some old maps, I think there was a windmill just a little way up the hill in Malthouse Lane. I seem to remember some old building there. It's sails would have rotated long before. Might have been the highest spot around those parts. Don't know if the nicer houses (with bathrooms) on Glenpark were there at the time of the photo, probably not. Used to go whizzing down there on a small tricycle on the sidewalk with a friend standing on the back and holding on to my shoulders. No brakes and no fear in those days. Thanks for delving into it.

I am convinced it is Highfield Rd, if you zoom in on the street view pictures, the more you zoom in the more severe the bend is,or appears to be.

Hi Rupert and Terry when I looked at the picture again I thought the bend was too tight it was only when Brumgum showed the street view that I changed my mind . It was a nice area round there when I was a kid not so good now . Hi Rob your welcome

Easy to get confused, it happens to me a lot. I walked up and down Glenpark Rd 2-3 times a week for at least 25 years, the reason being my cousin lived at the bottom of Glenpark and we used to drink in the Swan and the Cross Guns. Sadly no longer.

Terry

Yeah, whenever I think of Highfield Road, I think of looking along it towards the top of the Rock from Wavel I think. Or from the top of the Rock in the other direction so never from that spot. Although I used to go along Malthouse to school occasionally and had a friend who lived at the outdoor in the elbow...was a great goalie...Billy Willis seems to ring a bell for his name.
The big fine houses set up and back from the road on Highfield are still there it seems and look to have been refurbished. They were there before the working class abodes I do believe and seem to have outlasted many of them.
Malthouse is a very old lane I think and possibly was a Mill Road at one time if that was a/the windmill location. I suppose that when Washwood Heath was the coaching road to Coleshill (a mail coaching location I seem to have read)...this would have been a 'high field' with no roads. The Heath itself would presumably have been below Warren Road and the grandiose Alma Crescent might have been supposed to look out over from way back at Vauxhall Gardens. They made a start anyway. At the top of the hill on Malthouse from Highfield there is a turn into another road and I notice that the old lock-ups are still there even though much of the housing has changed.
Actually, Pye gives a really good account of his travels by coach along to Coleshill from the Bull Ring in the early 1800s. Well worth a read if not done so before. Pyes Travels is on the web.

I'll have a look at Pye Rupert , Malthouse always had an odd feel to it and still did last time I was down there

Wish I could see a photo of Alma Crecsent Vauxhall from way back when. I lived there when I was a little nipper.

Thankyou, Have a nice day, Wally.

Wally,

This is the best I can Do, the one photo shows the section of Alma Crescent from Galton St to Inkerman St, the other shows Les's café on the corner of your section of the road.

Attachments

• s Cafe.jpg
    s Cafe.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Nechells Alma Cres ---Galton St.jpg
    Nechells Alma Cres ---Galton St.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 90
I remember Malthouse Lane suffered heavy bomb damage during the last war.. I was told it was a land mine. The builder I worked for and his plumbers had the task of repairing the roofs of surrounding buildings . While they were doing this they came across human remains, a result of an Anderson shelter and its occupants taking the full force of the bomb. I did not see this as I worked in his Store/Office.in Dyson Gardens which means I only travelled as far as Glenpark Road up Highfuield Road and did not recall the bend further on

Carolina, Lathams, best place to get. net curtains and Lino, those were the days,LOL

Latham's must have had several shops. There was one at the junction of Kingstanding and Hawthorn Road too. Used to buy material and dress patterns there. Linen/material shops always had a certain smell about them. Still love the smell of new material. Viv.

Can't work this out it's an index of streets from 1841 Fordrogh Street is there with a grid refrence but no map or pictures might be something to follow up . tThere are some links at the end of the page https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sa...4719620&pagename=BCC/Common/Wrapper/Wrapper#A might be worth browsing through here the flagged pages are references to Fordrough street https://archive.org/stream/birminghamhistor00whitrich#page/122/mode/2up/search/fordrough the link is not working but put Fordrough in the search box but not street

Bull Street Christmas 1961, A question for the ladies. Was shopping more enjoyable then before the advent of shopping centres and malls. Was it better when there were hundreds of little shops that you could browse through all day with the odd department store scattered here and there? I won't ask the men, because if they are anything like me, then they think that all the shops should be closed and replaced by pubs and other places of entertainment.

Attachments

• City Bull St 1961 .jpg
    City Bull St 1961 .jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 139
I don't think you need an answer to that, Phil, even from the ladies! All these shopping malls are the same, the world over.

By any chance does anyone have any pics of (87) Queens Road, Aston? It's currently under the car park on the forecourt of a modern pub called "The New Adventurers", but was the final home of Joseph LONGMORE, referred to in post #2954 about Aston Street, which also seems to have drawn a blank! Thanks in hope,

Maurice

Back