• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

alma%20place%20cato%20street.jpg
Thanks Brumgum, I have seen those Pic's, but they don't show Alma Crecsent between Dolman st and Inkerman st Where I lived at #27 which was the front house of the yard.
Thanks, Wally.
Got an Alma Place off Cato Street wallyb someone else may have the one your after

Bernie, #2971 is a good reminder of the Colonnade (is that how it's spelt?) and of that lovely fountain which used to change colour at night. There used to be a massive Christmas tree every year too.
Thanks for a lovely memory! How it's changed now that the Library is there.
rosie.

Hi Bernie, Highfield Road, Saltley was my route to school when I was attending Leigh Road school Washwood Heath that was in 1942-43, before going to Handsworth Tech.

Reg

I went to Leigh Rd, too, around the same time and knew Highfield Road up as far as the top of the Rock anyway and I can't for the life of me remember that bend. Highfield was a straight road except for a bend over the railway bridge just before Washwood Heath and I don't think this is it. So pretty sure this is not Highfield Rd.
Might be Nansen Road just below the junction with Highfield. The houses and wall on the right are still there in some form maybe. Even a lampost. Yeah, Leigh Road was a direct route to Handsworth Tech....good bike ride though. You would, of corse, have known Cherry St. and St. Phillips and West Brom old busses very well. Perhaps it was still trams in your day.

"I went to Leigh Rd, too, around the same time and knew Highfield Road up as far as the top of the Rock anyway and I can't for the life of me remember that bend. Highfield was a straight road except for a bend over the railway bridge just before Washwood Heath and I don't think this is it. So pretty sure this is not Highfield Rd."

I think it may be, the attached pic is off google earth and it is looking towards Alum Rock Rd from just over the railway bridge. There is a new build on the left which is the corner of Glenpark Rd that replaces one of the houses on the original pic.

Terry

Attachments

• highfield.jpg
    highfield.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 34
Bernie, #2971 is a good reminder of the Colonnade (is that how it's spelt?) and of that lovely fountain which used to change colour at night. There used to be a massive Christmas tree every year too.
Thanks for a lovely memory! How it's changed now that the Library is there.
rosie.

I was sorry when we lost the old war memorial gardens with the replacement by Centenary Square. The colonnade has been rebuilt in the grounds of the bombed St Thomas church on Holloway Head.

I remember the Railway Bridge quite clearly, just before it, going towards Washwood Heath Road, there was a Greengrocers, on the right, and one thing that has always stuck in my mind is that he had a notice saying "Rabbitt's" (as spelled) for sale. I always wondered where he got them from, whether they were tame or wild it didn't say. Strange how silly little thing stay in your mind.Regards travelling to Handsworth Tech. living in Bridge Road At the top end of Bowyer Road I used to catch the No.8 Inner Circle change at Hockley and catch another bus going up Soho Hill, I remember the West Brom buses but not trams.

Regards Reg

I used to walk down Highfield Road every day to work in the early Forties and like RUPERT I o not remember a bend in the Road

Back