• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

the newspaper vendor. Ours used to shout Teeleegreeph! What did/do yours shout?

Presumably that was in Coventry. I always remember the newspapermen in Birmingham shouting "Spachamail" as in those days they sold both the Evening Dispatch and the Birmingham Mail

I agree, Phil. I always noticed them for the same reason, though did not photograph them for some reason. They seem to have been built later than most of the rest of the road in the late 1890s, at about the time Strensham road was cut.

Mike, I can't imagine anybody sitting out there in Balsall Heath, and I don't ever think I saw anybody and I passed there frequently as a youngster.

Oops-a-daisy! This one's a little puzzle for anyone with time on their hands. From the Birmingham Gazette, no idea of date and no idea of where it is! But it certainly attracted a bit of a crowd. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374744050.972758.jpg

Presumably that was in Coventry. I always remember the newspapermen in Birmingham shouting "Spachamail" as in those days they sold both the Evening Dispatch and the Birmingham Mail
Yes it was. They also used to shout, "Cit eye foy nal!" and Lyte Cit eye!" that when we had several editions a day and not with yeaterday's news in. Lunch, City, Districts, City Final, Night Final etc editions with a little bit of new news in each ones. Maybe somebodys tell that's what news means. New!.

Edward Rd, Balsall Heath looking up toward Moseley Rd from outside the Cannon Hill Public House.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Edward Rd from Court Rd 1969.jpg
    Balsall Heath Edward Rd from Court Rd 1969.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 77
Just across the road from berniew's photo #2210 are these houses that I remember well, I've always thought them out of place for Mary St Balsall Heath. Whats more they are still there today.
Very different houses Phil look better quality

That is the old Fire Station in Rose Road not the Police Station. One of the inducements offered to Harborne to come into Birmingham was the promise of a professional fire service to replace the existing volunteer fire brigade. When I led a walk around Harborne some years ago when the fire station was still in use one of those on the walk described it as a real Trumpton Fire Station.

Yes Brenda don't know which road they were on if it's a road off the Square or possibly Alwold Road , everyone looking very smart Carol any idea what year

View attachment 87494Here's one for Nico The Peeping Tom Heatford Street Coventry 1907 no idea where that is[/QUOTE

Very kind of you where did you get it Bernie? Hertford Sreet, now a precinct runs uphill to the middle of the town in Broadgate. If you look up you can see the old facades on top of the shops on the left hand side of the stree going downhill. I like the balcony iron railings. The only ones I remember were in Queens Road, on lovely old Georgian house which were demolished in the 70's to make way for the new Post Office building which is now a hotel, and the DHSS which is now the college residence. And a carpark which has now gone! Some of it is still hoardings though would you believe. They keep moving things about. Tom now peeps every hour (or he did) on top of Lady Godiva's clock when she comes out on her mechanical white horse. I think there is another statue of him somewhere else. The Peeping Tom now a modern Pub is in Burton Green a suburb by the University of Warwick (in Cov). Burton Green runs in to Balsall Common (Brum).
I took my dad on the ring road just before he died and he got very upset as a Coventry Kid because he was unable to recognise his city that he grew up in. I am sure Brum is there same as when I was last walking in it and got lost there seems to be no continutuiy. The roads just stop and you are met by a concrete block.

Great stuff, my dad would have loved this. Not much left now but there are a few buildings. It's nice to see them in their proper setting.
Nico

Has anyone noticed the prefabs in the background...Brenda

Yes I noticed them then realised that in 1967 Birmingham probably still had about another 10 years before getting rid of them completely. Also noticed that the Co=op was a TASCOS. Did not think they came as far a Weoley Castle

Those prefabs are actually on Weoley Castle Square,the photo reminds me of my early days on the ambulance service. I was sent there to collect a patient from one of the prefabs and my crew mate who was showing me the ropes,said to me in a very officious voice " stand back and I will show you how to appraoch a patient in the correct manner". He walked towards the patients bed and planted his foot in a recently used jerry [gazunda] .It was difficult not to laugh and needless to say,that was one piece of advice that I disregarded. 205 mal

Last edited:
Back