• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

How lovely to see it restored like that. In Bernie's photo it looked on the brink of demolition. Looks like The Friends of the Earth occupied it in the earlier photo (and maybe still today?). So good to see buildings like this returned to good use. Viv.

Sorry just read the link and it's still Friends of the Earth. In the older photo you can see the distinctive F of the E rainbow on the side of the building and I think the swinging sign has the name on too. Viv.

I've eaten at the Warehouse Cafe around 2 or 3 times. Vegetarian meals.

So by the looks of it, it has new owners?

You're welcome, there's quite a few surprises in Digbeth if you look for them such as the old Mission building on Fazeley Street where my father went to Sunday School is now the home of trendy studios..
View attachment 86894

https://www.fazeleystudios.com/mission_statement.php

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ell-r-brown/6337773880/in/photostream/
There is a building just like this in Coventry, opposite what's left of Gosford Green which now links to Sky Blue Way. And it is painted the same blue. Would that colour be relevant to what it was? Nico

Gudday young Alan, nice to see you well. What a small world we live in the old lady selling toffee aples was my granny who lived next to dad's coalyard. I don't remember Sue but would know the family for sure and the name explains one of my sisters being called Sue which was not a family name. I can't help with the Drinkwaters other than the butcher I'm afraid. Kind regards and good to hear from you. David.
HI Dave top of the morning to you nice to hear from you just read your thread about the drinkwater family
i just like to asked you do you know whether or not there was any famiy connections to the drink water family of Aston church road
As i knew the drink water family down Aston church road and i worked with one of them at the bromford rolling mills at bromfrd bridge way back in the seventys
He was clocking on abit i was the tube drawer and he was my mate on the other end of the machine they called the dog he used to go and sort the
blue prints and fetch my requirements nice little old fella i also recall glastone stone street i used to p[lay around there with the boys and recall the old lady selling the toffe apples for 1d and i used to court a girl down there she died very young of age of cancer her name was sue ;im not allowed to mention
her surname but i have fond memorys of the old area
dave ; have a nice day speak soon i hope ; best wishes Astonian;; ALAN ;;;;

Hi I am new to this brilliant site. I am Tom Ross and grew up at 2/437 New John St West and went to St Chads RC infants Juniors and Seniors in 50/60s would love to see pics of that part of New John St West

'Newtown' sounds like a (relatively) modern name to me. The sort of name that appeared across the country in the 50s/60s. Viv.

But ..... the proper name is Aston Newtown, I cannot remember where I read this, and I cannot remember word for word, but the outline on it becoming Aston Newtown was due to the residents who lived in Aston Village, they objected to the new development in the south of Aston being named Aston or being part of their Aston, therefore it became known as Aston Newtown...., this around 1860 onwards .....

When I lived in Gt Russel Street it was Newtown Row,(Up until 1963 aged 8,going on 9))it seemed to be a natural divide between Hockley and Aston.

But ..... the proper name is Aston Newtown, I cannot remember where I read this, and I cannot remember word for word, but the outline on it becoming Aston Newtown was due to the residents who lived in Aston Village, they objected to the new development in the south of Aston being named Aston or being part of their Aston, therefore it became known as Aston Newtown...., this around 1860 onwards .....
That makes sense and seems the most likely to me therefore Newtown Row is just a road leading to it.

Back