• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Hi Astonian
Good to hear from you, as always. Yes there were a group of us in our re-enactment
uniform, ( American Civil War) Confederate. We were pulling a cannon around with us, man it was heavy
it was one we used on our battles. We went around the country re-enacting ACWS battles and raising
a few quid for charity at the same time. Very loud but happy days. Regarding the Stevens Family, I am stuck on the isle of Wight.
By the way you did not drive for Neely transport did you. All the best to you and yours Alan.

Stars (Eric)

I always understood the Outer Circle 11 route once it had been established in 1926 was, in fact, 26 miles in length.
Others may know differently.

A quick reference to the book 'Outer Circle' (David Harvey, Margaret Hanson & Peter Drake) does confirm this. Maybe the extra mileage is accounted for by more recent route alterations made by the PTE and successor. Either way I am not contemplating walking the route to prove its length! :friendly_wink:

The Outer circle varies by 1 1/4 miles depending on if it is Clockwise or not. I understand the 'outer' outer circle clockwoise is that much greater than the 'inner' anticlockwise journey!

Also I was always under the impression the old 15/16 bus route - Whittington Oval (at lea hall) to Hamstead via town, and return was the 2nd longest route.
It was certainly a journey and a half from one end to the other!

Brian

Interestingly enough I was completely unaware of the history surrounding Sarehole Mill. I knew there was a mill there but at the time it was quite concealed with trees and bushes.

And of course Sarehole Mill and the surrounding land was (supposedly) J R R Tolkien's inspiration for Hobbiton and The Shire in The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings. Just thought I'd mention that!

G

The current 49 route from Solihull to Weoley Castle seems pretty long (via Maypole, Kings Norton, Cotteridge, Longbridge etc).

In May there was the Free Radio Walkathon (this year Walk for Harry - previously for BRMB). It went all around the Outer Circle. Not sure if the walkers went all the way around, but they walked sections to the parks such as Kings Heath Park (some got the 11A or 11C home afterwards).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Outer_Circle - says it's currently 27 miles long. (43 km). 2-3 hours to complete (on the bus).

Back on the 29a we are just turning into Wake Green Rd and heading up the hill (1) Upon reaching Springfield Rd we take a right (2) and after crossing College Rd (3) we come to Stratford Rd (4). We now continue our journey through Sparkhill on Stratford Rd (5).

Attachments

• 1 Hall Green Wake Green Rd - Gracewell Rd  1935.jpg
    1 Hall Green Wake Green Rd - Gracewell Rd 1935.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 2 Sparkhill Springfield Rd 1903.jpg
    2 Sparkhill Springfield Rd 1903.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 3 Moseley Springfield Rd 1977.JPG
    3 Moseley Springfield Rd 1977.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 4 Sparkhill Stratford Rd Springfield.jpg
    4 Sparkhill Stratford Rd Springfield.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 5 Sparkhill Stratford Rd.jpg
    5 Sparkhill Stratford Rd.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 149
After Sparkhill comes Sparkbrook and at the moment we are approaching the junction of Warwick Rd (1) After passing Warwick Rd and The Mermaid public house (2) we pass by the Church of St Agatha on the corner of Mole Street (3). Now we find ourself at the bottom of Main Street looking toward Camp Hill (4) Now we will just pass under the Railway bridge by Henley St and the Shakespeare public house.(5)

Attachments

• 1 Sparkhill Stratford Rd - Warwick Rd 1952.JPG
    1 Sparkhill Stratford Rd - Warwick Rd 1952.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 2 Sparkhill Stratford Rd - Warwick Rd.jpg
    2 Sparkhill Stratford Rd - Warwick Rd.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 3 Sparkbrook St Agathas Stratford Rd.jpg
    3 Sparkbrook St Agathas Stratford Rd.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 4 Sparkbrook stratford_rd_2[1].jpg
    4 Sparkbrook stratford_rd_2[1].jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 5 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Nr Henley St.jpg
    5 Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Nr Henley St.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 176
Interesting pics Phil. The Sparkhill/Camp Hill ones I recognise easily. The others are either before my birth or after 1954. The tram that has passed beneath the railroad bridge will, as many will know, be on its way to the depot in Kyotts Lake Road.

As we now head through Camp Hill we pass on the right just under the bridge King Edwards Grammar School (1). Then over the traffic island where on the right site the Ship Hotel (2) and on the left the café (3) that used to be next to the Brewer & Baker on Ravenhurst St. As we continue on past a row of shops (4) we come to the Holy Trinity church & School (5).

Attachments

• 1 Camp Hill KEGS (2).JPG
    1 Camp Hill KEGS (2).JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 2 Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    2 Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 3 Camp Hill Sandy Lane Junction.jpg
    3 Camp Hill Sandy Lane Junction.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 4 Camp Hill 1940.jpg
    4 Camp Hill 1940.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 5 Camp Hill Holy Trinity.jpg
    5 Camp Hill Holy Trinity.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 164
Now on the other side of Camp Hill we are heading downhill once more (1) Passing on the right as we go Downing & Mills and the shop where I had one of my tattoos in the 60's (2). Over the other side of the traffic island we see Fisher & Ludlow (later Haddon & Stokes)(3). As we carry on now toward Deritend leaving these views behind (4) It wouldn't be fair for us to do so without a quick peek at the flyover. (5)

Attachments

• 1 Camp hill Nr Junction With Coventry Rd.jpg
    1 Camp hill Nr Junction With Coventry Rd.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 2 Bordesley Coventry Rd - Camp Hill.jpg
    2 Bordesley Coventry Rd - Camp Hill.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 3 Bordesley High St Fisher Ludlow.JPG
    3 Bordesley High St Fisher Ludlow.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 4 Bordesley High St - Camp Hill.JPG
    4 Bordesley High St - Camp Hill.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 5 Bordesley High St Flyover (3).jpg
    5 Bordesley High St Flyover (3).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 226
HI
Great pictures of CAMP HILL.
Would the date on the MURPHY tv shop be correct. It states 1940, but it has a tv in the window.
WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN A BIT EARLY???
KEN

Yes you are right. Sweeneys, radio engineers were there in 1940, but no 52 was not Days until sometime between the 1949 & 1950 directories

The Mermaid / President Palace in Sparkhill has just been repaired again (after the second fire from a few years ago). Not sure if or when it will open again. The Bloye Mermaid sculpture seems to have been removed (in storage?).

Further up in Sparkbrook - The Angel is now a stakehouse! (the old pub sign was removed before the stakehouse was completed - including an extension).

I think Holy Trinity Church (picture number 5 in post 1150) is where my maternal grandparents were married.

Not been down that way for quite a time but I think it was used as a Hostel/ Night Centre for down and outs in more recent years.

Thanks for the pics. Some are within my memory others seem 1960+.

The small island at Camp Hill was curious. Not only did it have tram tracks running through it there was also a railway line (don't think it was a tram line) which crossed them. The was a railroad depot (LMS I think) at Camp Hill.

Heading along Deritend High St (1) we can see some familiar sights and try to imagine as others would have looked like St Johns Church (2) or perhaps the Old Tripe Shop or even a farmer taking his pigs to market. We even might try to imagine The Golden Lion in situ before it was moved so it could rot somewhere else.

Attachments

• 1 Deritend High Street.jpg
    1 Deritend High Street.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 2 Deritend High St 1908.JPG
    2 Deritend High St 1908.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 3 Deritend High St Old Tripe House c1900.jpg
    3 Deritend High St Old Tripe House c1900.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 4 Deritend High St 1903.JPG
    4 Deritend High St 1903.JPG