• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

I have a postcard of the Last Tram taken just a bit further down Steelhouse Lane near John's Restaurant, which was an Indian Restaurant. I used to wait for the bus outside the Wesleyan & General and I believe that was the terminus for the the No.78 tram at one time. Nice to see a different shot.

A few more photos of Moseley Rd Balsall Heath taken at various locations throughout the years. We have one at the junction of Leopold Street and another from more or less the same point but looking the other way. We then have one of from close to the junction of St Paul's Rd and St Paul's Church. The next one is close to the junctions of Clifton Rd and Edward Rd. Then the last one is from the Brighton Rd - Cromer Rd junction.

Sorry but it seems that the photos I posted wanted to display themselves into a different order to that I posted them in. If anybody has any difficulty in identifying any of them then just ask

Attachments

• No 40 Tram at Junction Moseley Rd & Leopold St 1949.jpg
    No 40 Tram at Junction Moseley Rd & Leopold St 1949.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 518
  • Balsall Heath Moseley Rd  Brighton Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Brighton Rd.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Balsall Heath Moseley Rd  Edward Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Edward Rd.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Balsall Heath Moseley Rd St Pauls.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd St Pauls.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Highgate Moseley Rd - Leopold St 1949 .jpg
    Highgate Moseley Rd - Leopold St 1949 .jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 185
smashing pics phil..dont worry about the order...if you hover over them before clicking on them the location comes up..

lyn

The 'Blitz' had not started when at least two of these photos were taken, so I've put them here.

Margaret St in the months before WW2 a fairly cheerful looking crowd filling sandbags and placing them untidily against the walls of the Education office.

Still Margaret St in the opposite direction. The trams had to squeeze past the busy scene. Would those sandbags protect the building?

Perhaps a little later the sandbags look more uniform in size and placement, but what about the upper windows? Note the 'Keep Left' bollards had light shields fitted.

Last edited:
Still stopping on Moseley road. I thought that this time I would show a few of the marvellous old buildings that used to abound along there. Most of them are gone today but a few of them have managed to evade the developers, for now that is. I think four of these five have managed to survive, but they are all in doubt at this present time.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Moseley Rd  JH Butchers Transfers.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd JH Butchers Transfers.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Art School.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Art School.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Highgate Moseley Rd - Peoples Dispensary.JPG
    Highgate Moseley Rd - Peoples Dispensary.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Highgate Moseley Rd Friends Institute (2).jpg
    Highgate Moseley Rd Friends Institute (2).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Highgate Moseley rd Opposite Highgate Park.jpg
    Highgate Moseley rd Opposite Highgate Park.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 113
Yes still there,owned now by moslem community, who allow the past pupils to have their annual re0union there.
I was there from 1953-6

Image2_Icknield_St_1.jpg

A pic of Icknield St, looking towards the library. Have a feeling that this one has been on before though.

Just these last few of Moseley Road and I'll move on somewhere else before I bore you all to death. Among these images we have the beginning of Moseley Rd at Bradford St, a tram outside the Castle & Falcon opposite Vincent St, a postcard view from Brighton Rd, a view just past Cromer Rd and one from Highgate Rd at Camp Hill passenger station.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Nr Brighton Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Nr Brighton Rd.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Nr Cromer Rd .jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Nr Cromer Rd .jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Balsall Heath Moseley Rd-Belgrave Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd-Belgrave Rd.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Highgate Moseley Rd c1937 Nr Bradford St .jpg
    Highgate Moseley Rd c1937 Nr Bradford St .jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 145
  • No 42 tram on Moseley Rd os Castle & Falcon PH 1949.jpg
    No 42 tram on Moseley Rd os Castle & Falcon PH 1949.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 142
maggs thanks for posting the icknield st pic..i used to have that one but couldnt find it...

lyn

Never boring Grandmaster Brummie.

I never tire of looking at these fantastic pictures.........pure nostalgia.:adoration:

Patsi

You are the second person to call me by that title, I wondered where it was coming from and the I realised it the title given me by the forums automatic ranking system. I'll have to see what I can do to change that, it makes it sound as if I know what I am on about.

Phil

Hi Phil - If I remember correctly you can change it in your profile.

Patsi

You are the second person to call me by that title, I wondered where it was coming from and the I realised it the title given me by the forums automatic ranking system. I'll have to see what I can do to change that, it makes it sound as if I know what I am on about.

Phil[/QUOT

yes phil you can change it if you want..go to forum actions..click on edit profile then click on edit signature..you can call yourself what you want lol..

lyn

Yes I have discovered that much, I'm just trying to think of something less grand, perhaps The Duke of Digbeth or has that already been taken?

Phil

I thought it was one of your's Lyn. I have got some more of Icknield St and Monument Rd, so I will get them sorted and post them.

lol phil...how about the bishop of nechells....only joking im sure you will think of something...

Patsi

Phil

I am sure that you do know what you are on about Phil.:friendly_wink: and it does sound grand.

Back