• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Some more of Moseley Rd , these 5 starting at photo No 1 the Library more or less cover the whole stretch of road to the Vincent Street junction at photo No 5 with the tram.

Attachments

• 1 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Library.JPG
    1 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Library.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 2 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Timms Garage (2).jpg
    2 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Timms Garage (2).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 3 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd 2002.jpg
    3 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd 2002.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 4 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd 1973.JPG
    4 Balsall Heath Moseley Rd 1973.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 5 Moseley Rd - Vincent St 1939.jpg
    5 Moseley Rd - Vincent St 1939.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 205
David

It was the part near the Apollo cinema, not that I would know that anyway. I just happen to have another photo.

Phil

Attachments

• Erdington Apollo Cinema Tyburn Rd.jpg
    Erdington Apollo Cinema Tyburn Rd.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 193
Hi david - on the way into City, immediately before the junction of the Kingsbury Road.
The buildings on the left are still there, on the right there is a 1960's supermarket with maisonettes above.
Lloyds Bank is on the corner to the right of the Pic
Brian

its great to see this thread picking up now..thanks to everyone for posting their old street pics...

residents of granville st (off broad st) after a campain to get them re housed has proved successful..oct 1965

image.jpeg

rear of st martins st ...edgbaston dated 1965

image.jpeg

birchfield road...perry barr dated..1967

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
bridge st west/wheeler st...dated 1960

image.jpeg

pitney st..vauxhall..dated 1966

image.jpeg

grange road..small heath..dated 1950

image.jpeg

church lane ...aston dated 1969

image.jpeg

leopold st..highgate..dated 1964

image.jpeg

church lane..aston..dated 1969

image.jpeg

oops sorry folks just realised that ive already posted one or two of these last few pics..will have a re check on previous posts...

in fact ive posted most of them...sorry about that folks..will sort some new ones out when ive had a lie down lol.

lyn

Thanks for these photos Lyn,
would you know of 'Laburnham Terrace' Grange Road'? Just found out that members of family born there - way back in the 1870's
Mary (susan) Wheeler
S Wales

hi mary sorry i dont know of laburnham terrace but i will keep my eyes open for any pics of it for you..just going through some books i have and hope to post a few new images to the forum...

lyn

That's ok Lyn,

too far back I expect but at least I've got the Grange Road photo you posted and of course a better version of Bridge St West one now. I've been listing all the Ancestors addresses and collecting the photos - not doing to bad up to now - huge thanks to you and others on here!!
very grateful

Mary

mary just ask if there are any other photos you may want...happy to do a search for you...

lyn

Mary

Laburnum Avenue, Grange Rd, Small Heath. if we are talking about the same place. It is the terrace on the right on this 1890's map. As I say that is if it is the Grange Rd in Small Heath you are looking for, as there must be at least half a dozen Grange Rd's in Birmingham.

Phil

Attachments

• Laburnum Avenue Grange Rd.JPG
    Laburnum Avenue Grange Rd.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 65
emily st courtyard...love the cat on the roof..

image.jpeg

corner of alcester st and cheapside....1950s...just done a street walk and it looks like the church you can see is still there...

image.jpeg

ive left the caption on this one...just look at the photographers on top of the gaumont and on the ledge of the building next to it..

image.jpeg

Hi Astoness. had a scooter just like the one out side the shop it was called a MoJo red frame and yellow wheels. droove my mom and dad mad on christmas mornning about 1953 going round and round our bed room.. In the old one down 2 up in Tower street ..

Regards Pete..

happy days ehh pete...

paul i do agree with you...life seemed much slower and calmer then...im just glad that i remember those times..

lyn

Hi Astoness. had a scooter just like the one out side the shop it was called a MoJo red frame and yellow wheels. droove my mom and dad mad on christmas mornning about 1953 going round and round our bed room.. In the old one down 2 up in Tower street ..

Regards Pete..

pete you have just reminded me of the times i used to drive our mom barmy...we had a very very long kitchen in villa st and when it was raining i would practice my rollar skating up and down the kitchen...happy days..

lyn

Great pic Lyn. Can't believe those photographers standing on the Gaumont canopy, and the one on the windowsill next door. People are always so smartly dressed in these old pics aren't they? The Gaumont was one of my favourite cinema's in Brum, such a luxurious place.

hi maggs...dont think i ever went to the gaumont cinema...i remember it being there though...

Last edited:
ive left the caption on this one...just look at the photographers on top of the gaumont and on the ledge of the building next to it..
index.php

I loved the old trams and the Gaumont was my favorite cinema - I used to go there almost every Sunday evening in the mid 1950's - happy memories...:encouragement:

Last edited:
Great pics lyn.... Bought a new outfit to go to the Gaumont to see The Sound of music. My hubby took me when i was about 17 it seemed such a grand place in comparison to the local flicks we used to go to.

I remember going to The Gaumont to see South Pacific in 1958.

I saw it twelve times....:biggrin: I still love that film!

It is probably a different one but, the electoral toll shows no laburnam terrace in Grange Rd (though often it lists them as court 1,2,3..., so that means nothing), but there is a laburnam terrace at the bottom end of Hawkes St, which leads off Grange Road, marked in red below

map_c_1904__laburnam_terrace__Hawkes_st.jpg

Back