• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Maybe a common sight in Deritend c1903. The Old Crown Pub is in the background.

old_crown_1903.jpg

wow phil..that is a jewel of a pic...surely this must be new to the forum..

absolutely wonderful

lyn

I've searched and apologies if this has been posted before but just look at that advert for the 'American Fresh Meat Co' - the largest Butchers in the World !

Spiceal Street, unfortunately I have no idea of the date.
Spiceal_St.JPG

These are great photos. Deritend pigs - market or abattoir I wonder? That photo's brilliant, showing the job as it was done for centuries. The tramlines removal is intriguing. Did the Council remove most of the tramlines or tarmac them in? And yes the Spiceal Street pic was on before, but what a great photo and well worth posting again. Next to the American butchers is a 'by appointment' supplier. And yet another by appointment at Horton's further long. Viv.

I think this photo is 1860's. I have one similar and I know it is 1862. The Horton is Isaac Horton, who started off as a pork butcher and ended up building the Grand Hotel. Brilliant photo.

I haev the photo from another place , where it is listed as 1886. This would seem to fit as the directory of 1884 seems to list all the shops in the photo, but the American Fresh meat company were not there in 1880 or 1888

It is difficult to understand how that scene has not been totally wiped out by all the demolition and rebuilding work that has taken place. Thanks for pointing that out.

cxz - Copy.jpeg
Sorry about the quality of this one, it is Acocks Green Village looking from Shirley Road in 1932. The New Inns Pub is on the left of the picture and is still standing today as far as I know.

What great, clear picture Stitcher, feel as if you could step right into the picture, and again everywhere is so clean and tidy.
paul

I was born in Acocks Green Paul, and although I do not remember it as quiet as in the photo it was not terribly busy when mom took to do the shopping in the 40s.

HI lyn do you have any photos of south road sparkbrook & teresa road sparkbrook frankfort street hockley (the place i was born) in one of the courts,
brill photos of brum many thanks mikeg,.

That is a place I have never been too in Birmingham stitcher, though I will say all the pre war estates ion the then out skirts of the city, do a a familiar feel to them and could be any where.
paul

HI lyn do you have any photos of south road sparkbrook & teresa road sparkbrook frankfort street hockley (the place i was born) in one of the courts,
brill photos of brum many thanks mikeg,.

hi mike and welcome to the forum..glad you like the pics...i will have to search my files to see if i have any of teresa road and south road but off the top of my head i think not but i can ask around for you...frankfort st is another thing...it has its own thread and as you may know we lost all of our images a few months back when the forum was hacked but i have reposted my pics of this street..its quite a long thread but you may find it interesting..i think the reposted pics start at post no 88...i will bring it to the main page for you to save you hunting around for it...

lyn

Last edited:
Many thanks lyn i only found this site on the 19/3/2012 and it is bringing back memories.
mikeg.

Back