• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Definately Shaftmoor Lane Dek and Lyn. The buildings are still there right by the junction of Oulton Blvd. They have hardly changed at all.

Just noticed that there is a cafe there called Boulevard Cafe which I didn't notice before but it confirms what I said above.

Last edited:
hi lynn
thanks for the memories ; its a pity you neverwent afew yards back you woud have captured the old lollipop man
that crossed us over to the main sweet shop for all us kids that attendeded upper thomas street school
which incidently was only afew doors away ; that cafe was fairly new it was not around until later years if i remember correctly
our little tuck shop was always banged packed with us kids hope you do not mind me asking whom was your relies
as most of us natives at that school in hose days remember and knewmost kids and there familes
you never know we may know them great pics keep them coming astonian; alan

Lyn
I think there was discussion of the Stockfield road stores picture previously but I can't find it. Neither W W Webb, not Stockfield stores is listed in the 1921 or 1932 directories
Mike

hi ernie hope you are keeping well..nice to see you posting again..there is a caption for the 2nd pic in my first post..its great russelll st..

hope this helps..

lyn

Lyn
I think there was discussion of the Stockfield road stores picture previously but I can't find it. Neither W W Webb, not Stockfield stores is listed in the 1921 or 1932 directories
Mike

thanks mike i had a feeling we had discussed that one before..

lyn

Well I have to say a great big thank you Lyn for your time and effort in putting these great views of a Birmingham I remembered and loved ,thanks again.

highfield place/granville place..anderton st ladywood...dated 1967

image.jpeg

old square bottom right..date 1962

image.jpeg

old square dated 1969...i remember these shops so well...it is said that they were just basically back filled and still remain more or less intact underground..

image.jpeg

rear of milton st newtown dated 1962

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back