• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

The number 594 Coventry Rd would be past Small Heath park entrance, in the picture it looks like the number 508 is next door to the cinema which would put it opposite Golden Hillock Rd as the caption suggests.
Perhaps they moved at some time.

Nick

Brummie nick, I would agree with what you are saying as this photo shows the site of the Victoria today (the building with fly posters) and that is without a doubt 504 Coventry Rd because number 506-508 is next door. The information I have says it was 594 perhaps the nine got mixed up with a zero at the printers, or has Coventry Rd been renumbered since 1931?

Attachments

• Coventry Rd.JPG
    Coventry Rd.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 108
Carol
There is no map giving the name, which was probably just a local name for the area, but the only place I can find on maps that would think could be it is seen below in the c 1890 map to the north of Burbury st Recreation ground, later burbury Park. The clear ground had been built on by the time of the c1904 map

map_c_1890_showing_probable_Old_Pleck_area.jpg

Brummie nick, I would agree with what you are saying as this photo shows the site of the Victoria today (the building with fly posters) and that is without a doubt 504 Coventry Rd because number 506-508 is next door. The information I have says it was 594 perhaps the nine got mixed up with a zero at the printers, or has Coventry Rd been renumbered since 1931?

I remember the area well, as my favourite shop 'Bobs Models' was just past there.:encouragement:

Mike, that makes sense for Burbury Park as its not too far from Hockley Brook. Perhaps later on in the book it may give more info. Many thanks Carol

Ref the pic of The Jafrany Indian Restaurant the top floor was a one bed flat in 1962 as was the bottom extended part. I lived in both of em from 1962 after my new wife and I were wed. The then owner was a Mr Horace Jackson and he ran the shop at the side.

A few images of Park Road Aston, please forgive me if they have been posted before.

Attachments

• Aston  Park Rd 1967.JPG
    Aston Park Rd 1967.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Aston  Park Rd.jpg
    Aston Park Rd.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Aston  Victoria Rd - Park Rd.JPG
    Aston Victoria Rd - Park Rd.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 135
Mr grandfather and gt grandfather lived 148 Park Road Aston in the 1890 and 1901 census which Mike kindly pointedm on an earlier posting that it was in fact a double grocers shop.

Last edited:
Jeesh! who lived in these so called cottages.
I always wondered what denotes a cottage. As some are huge and have several rooms with choccie box gardens and others are like hovels. Someone asked me if I still lived in the cottage. (My 2 bed terraced town house without a front garden.)

My friend lived in a condo(minion) in the USA. I would call it a flat.
Like a flatlet and a bedsit? and they used to be called rooms. My parents lived in digs in the early 50's.
Mr Cadbury's house in 5 ways is big. The only ads I can recognise on the photo are Lyons and Bovril. There looks to be a strange shaped sign behind the newspaper vendor. Ours used to shout Teeleegreeph! What did/do yours shout?

When my brother and myself and grandparets were evacuated in the war we lived in a hamlet Dorsington not to far from Barton....well we lived in a Elizabethan cottage one up one down no electricity no running water it was really an eyeopener having come from Aston, as bad as things were in Aston, this was like living in another universe...but for all that even though it was rough l loved every minute but m y poor Gran had it rough having to cook on a fire and a paraffin stove ....that was my experience of living in a cottage.....Brenda

Very interesting Bren, kids used to be so adaptable, and I would think that your Nan would have seen it all in her life time. paul

Just across the road from berniew's photo #2210 are these houses that I remember well, I've always thought them out of place for Mary St Balsall Heath. Whats more they are still there today.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Mary Street.jpg
    Balsall Heath Mary Street.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 47
Back