• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Two people killed in air raid on 28 07 1942 64 Lozells Road Ralph Henry Corfield aged 41 special constable killed at home Lionel William Jennings same date died in the cinema aged 49

When I lived in Clifton rd 1 back of 107. There was a charabanc (coach) trip to weston I think !! we called it a sharabang. I had my picture taken at the back of the coach (as you did) I had a police helmet on. Bossy from the start.
If by any chance some mad person has this PLEASE give it up !!! My Mom and Dad were Irene and Bert Tipping ...they adopted me. Two wonderful people sadly missed. I have seen the Upper Thomas Street dressing up photo..can't spot me. But would I..
and the trip one.... but again I am not there. We left Clifton road when I was about 8/9 1954 probably.

Hi Jayell, I do remember, and still have the lovely photo of VE night you sent me, I hope you are keeping well my dear, and all your family are well. regards Paul.

Here's a colourised photo of the High Street, Erdington. I imagine it dates from the 20's or 30's.
In 1960 I was born in the flat above the Maypole Dairy, which is the building immediately to the left of the cinema!
High Street.jpg
Click to enlarge photo.

Open top tram, high collar on boy, no motor vehicles, I would date this picture to around 1905 Jaffa, could be wrong though. paul

Here's a colourised photo of the High Street, Erdington. I imagine it dates from the 20's or 30's.
In 1960 I was born in the flat above the Maypole Dairy, which is the building immediately to the left of the cinema!
View attachment 87360
Click to enlarge photo.
By the look of the tram car and the peoples clothing together with the lighting on the building i would say about 1900 ,in line with Paul's post.

Great tinted photo Jaffa. Does anyone know if this is the Green end or Six Ways end of the High Strreet? Viv.

Trams ran in Erdington High Street from 1907 to 1938 when they were diverted on to the New Road. This tram was new in 1907 and by 1911 the corporation started to put covers on the top decks although this work was not completed for many years because of WWI. Looking at the tracks in the road I would say that this was at the northern end of the High Street as the main part of the High Street was single track.

Thanks David. I'm also interested in the southern end, but I haven't seen many photos of the parades of shops showing that part. All the same, a great photo. I've just noticed the two lads sitting on the top deck eyeing the photographer (as they all seem to be doing). These photos always make me question why was this photo being taken? But we'll probably never know. Viv.

Great knowledge... Many thanks,
If it helps, my sister gave me this additional info:
The Maypole Dairy (the shop with the awning just behind the tram) was number 90 Hight Street, the next shop on the right was called Colliers and next right after that was the Palace Cinema.
If you went down the alley between Colliers and The Palace Cinema you came out the other end with Mason Road on your left.

Our flat apparently went above both the Maypole Dairy & Colliers. My sister's bedroom window was over the alley to the cinema and she could hear the film music through the walls!... This incidentally, was the room I was born in.
We left the High Street in 1961 when I was a 1 year old, I remember a few years later (mid 60's), my Father driving us through Erdington and saying to me "Just around this corner is the house where you were born son"... We drove into High Street only to find a huge pile of bricks & rubble... They'd knocked it down the day before!!

I think that this bit of the High Street is pedestrianised today, although I have not been there since the mid 80's so I can't be too sure, but I seem to remember that back in the 80's there was a supermarket (possibly a Tesco) near to the site of number 90... Although I could be wrong!!

Here's another view of the Palace Cinema from 1951
View attachment 87375

Kings Heath baths ! I learned to swim there, as well as going there from Wheelers Lane school I used to go in my own time too. I loved the place.

I was brought up as a small boy, at 5 Raglan Road, Edgbaston, and my Mom would take me shopping often down Balsall Heath, I remember it very clearly though quite young as a busy, clean, friendly place, with the trams rushing by, I believe I went to a nursery, in Balsall heath Road. Sometimes mom would push back through Cannon hill Park, and down the Pershore Road, I only remember a very green, and clean environment.Paul

I am interested in this picture which was in the book 'The Gangs of Birmingham' as it shows The Old Peck, four acres of waste ground beside Hockley Brook where a summer fairground was being held. I wondered if anyone could place where about this would be. Also, reading about this I would think the word 'peck' or 'pleck' would mean waste ground which would fall in line with bomb peck which always seems to show waste ground.

Hockley Brook The Old Peck.jpg

Carolina
From OED
>
> a. A small piece or spot of ground; a plot; a small enclosure. Now Brit.
> regional.
>

I decided to take a trip down the Cov' a weeks ago and was surprised that some of the old buildings were still there.but what a dump it it is now,there was rubbish everywhere,even fruit crates thrown into Small Heath Park,how its been allowed to come down to this level is beyond me,its a very sad place now.

The Victoria Picture House 594 Coventry Rd. Opened in 1912 under the management of Mrs Shelia Hyde and closed on April 18th 1931 managed by A Whitworth Cheetham.

Attachments

• Victoria Cinema.jpg
    Victoria Cinema.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 38
Back