• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

No A Sparks it’s where the old post office use to be. The allotments to the left of it. I don’t know the Open Air School.
It was on Marsh Hill from 1931 until 1966 and the entrance was between the houses on that side of the road, somewhere opposite Marsh Hill Junior school. I remember it when I was at Marsh Hill Grammar Tech which was up the hill, nearly at the top. You couldn't really see the school from the road, it was up a drive behind the houses.

Attachments

• 886 Bristol Road.jpg
    886 Bristol Road.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 62
The Cresswell shop is Shaftmoor Lane which is in Hall Green.
H P Cresswell furniture was at 22 Shaftmoor Lane. Today 22 is part of Bal's supermarket, the bus stop is now a shelter. According to the eroll Herbert P Cresswell and Nellie (wife?) are listed at 175 Fox Hollies Road.
1640700646683.png
There is also a listing in the phone book of H P Cresswell at 175 Fox Hollies Road which could have been where he lived as it is a house not a shop. The shop listing had gone by 1971.

H P Cresswell furniture was at 22 Shaftmoor Lane. Today 22 is part of Bal's supermarket, the bus stop is now a shelter. According to the eroll Herbert P Cresswell and Nellie (wife?) are listed at 175 Fox Hollies Road.

Herbert Philip Cresswell was born in Tamworth and married Nellie Cox (reg. 1928 Tamworth). Don't seem to have had any children.

Hi i have been looking at pictures Tates and father in law frank james nice clear pictures i walked past most of them as a lad keep them coming superb, House that jack built newtown mom used to take us their to over the road their was a path with lots of stalls covered over like a small market.

Hi this is a story Harold told me about summer lane his step dad was the local policeman lived in summer lane first war, last time i seen Harold it was twelve years ago he was ninety six, His dad used to be asked by parents to have words with their kids if they where playing up and he was incouriged to hit them, he did not like him much as he wore a cape and he used to flick him with it and it really hurt, It was in the war corner shop did the rashening books the shop had been robbed not to hard to find who done it a bag of flour had ripped left a trail to the front door the man had a gun so they fetched Harolds dad he went in to the house by himself the man trusted him as man of his word said to him will you take care of my wife and keep her safe he said yes he give him the gun and went of to prison. His dad was exspected to deal with every thing that happened in his patch he was up for that.

Hi if i am typing early morning i am not drunk live on a mane road find it easier to do my ancestry if not tired, Tates pictures remind me of so much we moved to witton lodge road in 65, Mom lived their 50 years, The picture of greyhound pub court lane there is a big shop next to it in 65 that was waste ground it had a shed on their about 6x3 sold newspapers and other bits that was maddox i did paper round for him i used to go in early and help put the other paper rounds for the other lads, I would go back to the shed when i finished to do any rounds that some one had not turned in the one day i did three rounds, i would have been late for school so the last round he took me round in his car ,He was ok i tended to get on with people older than me all part of life exsperiance he was a big man lets say not a lot of room between him and the counter i had to keep sqeezing past him to do the papers.my dad drank in greyhound ,leopard, golden cross i drank in in the golden cross when i got older not a lot as i worked out of town for harriss & sheldons it was easier to have a pint in the mullbery bush then over to the grapes a lot sheldons men would drink there as we where all back different times from out of town work. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hi this is a story Harold told me about summer lane his step dad was the local policeman lived in summer lane first war, last time i seen Harold it was twelve years ago he was ninety six, His dad used to be asked by parents to have words with their kids if they where playing up and he was incouriged to hit them, he did not like him much as he wore a cape and he used to flick him with it and it really hurt, It was in the war corner shop did the rashening books the shop had been robbed not to hard to find who done it a bag of flour had ripped left a trail to the front door the man had a gun so they fetched Harolds dad he went in to the house by himself the man trusted him as man of his word said to him will you take care of my wife and keep her safe he said yes he give him the gun and went of to prison. His dad was exspected to deal with every thing that happened in his patch he was up for that.
Loved the paperboy story - will trigger thoughts of many paperboys and girls of a certain age. Oh boy Sunday papers rounds we're so heavy.... Times; Telegraphs; so many supplements, lol.

Hi you might have seen this place two of my brothers moved their about 66 , I moved over top 67,one had acorn cafe on corner holte road mom worked their, other had sweet shop later picture bookies taxi office. Aston park opposite, To the right holte pub, Then it was bowling alley changed to penguin club, then villa park. To the left of property a bit quiter cemetry and church, The streets where very bizzy match day never really quite round their always some thing happening. The one day locol policeman made every one move there cars from the front of holte pub sharp uneven bend they were not happy they where having a drink, same bend dustmen had a drink another day come down turned left in to witton lane same spot seven men on side of cart as they did in them days road uneven truck did a double jump they all fell off a bit of blood all got back on and drove on nothing stopped for long if you blinked you missed it. Five of us went to the onion fair serpintine ground villa car park, We went in to the booth boxing outside oval shape high with seats round went up in steps i was over the entrance could see out side wrestler outside big guy shorts and a cape offering ten shillings two, 2 minute rounds him or the boxer two lads walked past one in a hurry other stopped called him back i think he said be late party he came back both lads about same height one well built ,In those days boxers did booth boxing for extra money, Those days we did not have any thing with time on but at a guess first round 3 minutes second 4 minutes very even fight i think if they stayed all day it would have been the same, so wrestler said double or quits so other guy fought him first round 5 minutes second 6 minutes again very even then the wrestler bit the guys ear he said you cant do that wrestler said youve lost winging, every one in there started stamping their feet as far as i herd they got a pound, Sorry if i spell the name wrong they where a bit older than us we think they where kirbies

Back