• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

The picture of #5,899 brought back memories. You can just make out the pub 'Hole in the Wall' under the ramp. 2/3 years after that picture was taken would have shown me scurrying up that ramp on my way to the 'Cabin' for a few pints. if you were lucky you could have seen me running (staggering) down again on my way to catch the no. 44 bus back home that was normally sat at its terminus in High Street just behind where the photograph was taken from. Dave

Holly Lane Erdington 1890.......
This view is just inside the 2nd half of Holly Lane, just down from Orphanage Road looking towards Grange Rd which you can just make out in the distance on the left
The houses are STILL there..........click for larger view.

HOLLY LANE, ERDINGTON 1890.jpg

cracking photo of bsw...wonder what the name of the ansells pub is on the left corner

lyn
After some research on another site I came up with "The Star Inn"...........
The Star Inn was opened as a beer house and located on north side of Bridge Street West, on the corner of Well Street. Indeed, the address of the tavern has been featured in both streets. Historically, the house was known as the Star Tavern on Well Street, though after some enlargement became the Star Inn and generally listed at No.306 Bridge Street West.
If you look at the street sign top right you can JUST make out the beginning of the name Well Street.

Last edited:
I thought it might be the star Inn, which seems to have actually been in Well St, but am dubious
mike i think the star inn i recall was on the corner of brearley st west and gt hampton row but need to check

lyn

Quite a few cars in this pic to keep johnfromstafs busy
Yes, thanks, somehow I seem to have missed this.

Facing away from the camera is a Sunbeam Alpine, with a hardtop fitted, and the most interesting car facing us is the black 1933-35 Morris Ten-Four a few vehicles back. (Sixth car on right?) Nearest is a Ford Zephyr Four, then an Austin Cambridge Countryman, the remainder are Cortinas, Anglias and a Mini or two.

The truck facing us is an Albion, basically a Leyland with a Glaswegian accent, sporting the Motor Panels VistaVue cab, also called the LAD cab, as it was used on Leyland, Albion, and Dodge trucks.

The gorgeous little garage business in Goosemoor Lane has only the one car I can be certain of, a 1935/6 Ford Ten model C, quite a flyer in its day, the Austin or Morris equivalent models being hard pushed at 55, the Ford would do over 60 if you were brave and could stand the noise. My Uncle Arthur, from the carriage works in Smethwick used to drive his Model C from Smethwick to Teignmouth for the family holiday. The other car on the front is, I think, a big Yank job, and probably a Hillman Minx in the workshop.

Nearest the camera, an early 1930s Morris Minor faces a newer Ford Eight, probably a Model 7Y deluxe, from the plated windscreen surround, and a similar Ford, but not the deluxe stands on the left, nosed up against what must have been a brand new 1938 Series 3 Wolseley. In front of the wine store stands a 1933 Standard Little Twelve. I can’t identify the car facing away in the middle ground, the van may be a Bedford.

OV2666 hiding coyly behind its radiator muff, is a Morris Minor (I think), and behind it stands a Singer Junior, the larger car opposite is a flatnose Morris, probably a Cowley. They were all quite new in 1931, so Spring Lane was definitely a prosperous address, not “plus-fours and no breakfast”.

On the flyover, Consul Mk2 which looks like a later addition to the image, Zephyr Mk2, Austin Sheerline, Austin A30, Bedford CA, A30 van, Commer Cob van (I think) and a BMMO D7. Another D7 with a Morris Cowley (pickup?) behind it.

A Cole’s truck mounted crane, and an A55 Cambridge on the pavement, and the J4 van turning right, and that’s about it.

Last edited:
Back