• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Hi Phil
Have you any from The Radleys, showing the houses with the prefabs on the other side of the road.

thanks stars

Pete

I'm no expert around those parts, but anyway I think the Albion was on the right heading toward West Brom just past Sandwell Rd.

stars

This is the best I can do for the Radleys & the Prefabs.

Attachments

• Sheldon The Radleys Prefabs 1954.jpg
    Sheldon The Radleys Prefabs 1954.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 154
oh wow shirl what an amazing pic..just one slight correction on the location it is taken at the junction of little king st and guest st..not gt king st..i think i could be right in saying that keyhill brian lived in little king st...most grateful for this one as the church you see is st saviours on the corner of villa st and bridge st west which is running accross in your pic and our mom was christened here...only been able to find one pic of it up to now and here it is...

thanks shirl.

lyn
stsaviours-1.jpg

Quite correct Lyn.
Beeen away for a long weekend and juast goit back = cracking pic of the cafe on the corner of Little King St as you say. Nice shot of the Church - the school is jut of of pic on the other side of the road from the church.

Thanks for posting Shirl

Brian

Hi phil ;
speaking of the albion and west bromwich do you recall he boundry cafe as i was known then it was an allnighter
just up past the albion ; way back in the fifties and early sixteis i have memo;s of it ;
best wishes astonian ;;;

Astonian

As I said that end of town was way out of my stamping grounds, but I have heard talk of the Boundary Café

Phil

hi astonion, the " allnighter " was a great place to head for when we were bikers....that hot mug of tea on a cold late winters night was very welcoming....we alternated between smokey joes in northfield, the hot dog stand, where now the rotunda has been built, aston bowling alley and several other haunts around the city. i wonder if anyone else remembers some of these " hangouts ".........................
bobbo

Hi Phil, sorry i think i was having a senior moment, The Regal was on the left hand side of soho road...

regards Pete

Pete

Just for you The Regal Soho Rd

Attachments

• Handsworth Soho Rd Regal Cinema.jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Regal Cinema.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 59
Thanks Phil , you are a star been a long time since I saw this place !! Brings back so many memeories Like when me and afew pals saw the Dam Busters there we ran all the way home with our arms outstreached pretending to be Bombers ..... (Well not all the way, but you no what I mean )

Many thanks Phil,

Pete

hi bobo ;
yes they was the greatold days and should i say alnighters ;weused to go there regular on our bikes to the boundry
and do you know i do not think many people recall smokie joes ay i certainly do weuse to come up in a austin a 35 van thre of us
rogerer tayor from washwood heath saltley gate the was haulage contractors on the corner he was also a rally cross driver he used too tune every think
even the lawn mower he bugh an old sharra bang and took all the seats out so hecould put is two rally coss cars in to race
with the a 35 van it was like an aroplane with the dashboards inside and head lamps on the bonnett where he could put any
it was a mas of head lamps and by golly did we turn heads coming up to old smokies joint late at night ;
old roger goy a kick out of jumpinping the lights from the sart agaist these big flash cars with his mg sprite engine installed under the bonneett of he a 35 van he would leave them standing ; its was greart laugh nice to knowsome-one recalls old smokies ;
best wishes astonian;;

Quite correct Lyn.
Beeen away for a long weekend and juast goit back = cracking pic of the cafe on the corner of Little King St as you say. Nice shot of the Church - the school is jut of of pic on the other side of the road from the church.

Thanks for posting Shirl

Brian

thought you would like that one bri...

lyn

Regal~0.jpgPete ex Pat - heres another one just a little bit closer. The times we have queued outside here on a Saturday morning for the ABC minors. Up on the stage if it was your birthday so you could get in free the following week. We had more than 1 birthday per year then.

You crafty old devil Carolina, Ha Ha why did you not go to the Paladium on Hockley Brook we used to go there for the kids matinee on Sat morning

Thanks for the photo

Pete

Pete, all down to money at the time. Saturday mornings was always the favourite. We used to go to the cakeshop on The Flat and buy mishapen cakes (usually dripping cakes) and then onto The Regal. If money was okay by our parents, we could also go to The Palladium of an afternoon. As I got older The Regal and The Palladium were a kind of place to 'meet the boys' on a Sunday.

Some of 'our gang' used to go upstairs in the gods so they could throw things down onto the people in the stalls. I must also admit some spitting as well.

Hey Carolina, I bet you and I used to go to the Regal on Sunday afternoons about the same time! There was always a long queue to get in and we always met the boys in there and often stayed in there for a second showing! My Mom was always moaning about the length of time I spent 'watching films' on a Sunday :biggrin: Judy

I no what you mean Carolina, you no I thought all Biscuits were broken like the ones that we used to have as kids ( Mom got them from woolworth's in the bullring on a saturday ) also miss shaped chocolates ... You must have been a bit of an hand full as a nipper ????

Regards Pete

The final set of 5 brings us to the end of our trip from Snow Hill to Holyhead Rd, I'll begin sorting another one out. Any suggestions.

How about along the route to Six Ways Aston either via Summer Lane or Newtown Row, then on to Perry Barr where you can choose either to go straight on to the Scott Arms, or bear right along the Aldridge road to Kingstanding or Sutton.
oldmohawk...:encouragement:

It certainly is Bobbo, it was one of the most frightening experiences I ever had the day I was pushed in, and if I remember rightly, I went straight home after the shock. It did teach me to swim, but it could have had a much more serious outcome. My guardian angel was with me that day that's for sure.

same thing happend to me maggs at victoria road swimming baths...only a couple of weeks into learning and the teacher put her foot on my head and pushed me down..never did learn to swim after that..

lyn

Lyn & Phil

My next photographic route march will be from Lancaster Place through Newtown, to Great Barr as soon as I get it sorted out.

Phil

The canal aqueduct on the Old Walsall Rd above Hamstead Village. Almost 99 years separate these two images.

The scene from 1913 perhaps the car belonged to the photographer
Canaloldwalsallrd1913.jpg

The modern scene with advertising hoarding
Canaloldwalsallrd_2012.JPG

Someone on the Forum mentioned slots where cut in the side of the bridge during the war so they could be used for firing points if the enemy came down or up the road,seen them they are still there,how true the story is though I don't know.

Back