• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

I really appreciate all the pictures on this forum the old and of course the then and now along with the trams trains buses
I have to admit the amount of pictures taken so many years ago is unbelievable hauling around a camera must have been a real chore.
The amazing thing is how many photographs were just ordanary life and all those street pictures.
The cost back then and the time to develop the photographs it was not a cheap or quick affair, we can be sure no one living in a back to back was running to Boots for film
We are indeed blessed that these Photographs exist

It does appear that taking a photograph in winter was not a favorite time, as the lack of winter weather in most subject matter is missing

It does appear that taking a photograph in winter was not a favorite time, as the lack of winter weather in most subject matter is missing
Yes Bob, there are very few photographs of snow in the city centre or in streets, although I'm sure I have seen some taken in e.g. Sutton Park. Maybe the snow was cleared up quickly from pavements, heavy foot-fall turned the snow to slush, or it was difficult for photographers to carry their heavy equipment in icy conditions in the early part of the twentieth century.
Just to prove that snow does fall in Birmingham town centre, here is one taken in Chamberlain Square in the early nineteen-eighties. The two people in the foreground are myself and my Dad. Dave.
P1000544 (2).JPG

Just wondered if anyone had any photos which showed anything camera or photographic related... I noticed one photo in the thread of a chemist on Potters Hill with Kodak and Ilford signs in the window which is great, but wondered if anyone had any photos of photographic studios or works, or camera related buildings in?

Just wondered if anyone had any photos which showed anything camera or photographic related... I noticed one photo in the thread of a chemist on Potters Hill with Kodak and Ilford signs in the window which is great, but wondered if anyone had any photos of photographic studios or works, or camera related buildings in?
If you type Galloways in the forum search you will find pics of a well know camera shop on the corner of New Street and Victoria Square. There probably is not much information about the cameras in the shop.
:)

You started this thread back in 2017. There have been 28 replies.

Back