• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

International Co-operative Day is an annual celebration of the co-operative movement observed on the first Saturday in July since 1923 by the International Co-operative Alliance. taken from Wikipedia .....The photo in question looks like it was taken in the 1920's just by looking at the head wear of some of the girls.....biggest question now , is where was it taken ?....
Imteresting picture. Did Birmingham police have spikes on their helmets, if so, when?

The giveaway signs should be the 3 small windows on the pub and the ornate support (next to the M of Mitchells).
I have looked through all the pictures I can find of Aston pubs and the only 2 that come anywhere near being a match are:

The Royal Oak at Pritchett Street

and

The White Horse on Victoria Street

Insufficient detail on the photos to pick out the ornate support though. Very intriguing.

Is this going to be another 'where is this No. 8 bus' ?

The giveaway signs should be the 3 small windows on the pub and the ornate support (next to the M of Mitchells).
I have looked through all the pictures I can find of Aston pubs and the only 2 that come anywhere near being a match are:

The Royal Oak at Pritchett Street

and

The White Horse on Victoria Street

Insufficient detail on the photos to pick out the ornate support though. Very intriguing.

Is this going to be another 'where is this No. 8 bus' ?
The White Horse is an Atkinson House

Welcome, I hope you find something of interest here.
Dartmouth Auto Castings is mentioned in these two threads:

Ray T

The pub on the corner of Montpelier Street was the Cottage of Content the shop on the other corner was a grocers shop the Bakery was on the corner of Long Street. The Railway a Davenports house was further up Kyrwicks Lane. The barber next to the old bakery premises was R Winnet (Ronnie) I think as I never used him, the chip shop was "Ickies" a W.Hickman who had the shop as long as I can remember he must have retired, packed it in or died in the early 70's because after then it had new owners.
Ray T

The pub on the corner of Montpelier Street was the Cottage of Content the shop on the other corner was a grocers shop the Bakery was on the corner of Long Street. The Railway a Davenports house was further up Kyrwicks Lane. The barber next to the old bakery premises was R Winnet (Ronnie) I think as I never used him, the chip shop was "Ickies" a W.Hickman who had the shop as long as I can remember he must have retired, packed it in or died in the early 70's because after then it had new owners.

Hi Lyn, Just gone through all the old Pic's again re visiting a lot of old memories of the old Days, I left in 1970 moved too
Devon then onto Cornwall in1977 still here but the old heart stings give me a pull now and then.... Still really proud to be borne and bred in BRUM PETE EXPAT

Hi Lyn, Just gone through all the old Pic's again re visiting a lot of old memories of the old Days, I left in 1970 moved too
Devon then onto Cornwall in1977 still here but the old heart stings give me a pull now and then.... Still really proud to be borne and bred in BRUM PETE EXPAT

hi pete hope you are well..good to see you posting again and you know the old saying...you can take the lad out of brum but cant take brum out of the lad

lyn

Back