• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Yardley Road, then renamed Yardley Green Road, Little Bromwich, Birmingham, Warwickshire. . . . (or that's what it says on my birth certificate of 1953) ;-)
The photo is taken from the Green Lane/ Hobmoor Road corner and shows the Primitive Methodist Church in Blake Lane, which was rebuilt facing onto Yardley Green Road. We got married at the renamed Small Heath Methodist Church there 40 years ago next month.
View attachment 85756
I always knew the later building as Yardley Green Methodist chapel and attended Sunday School there in the late 50’s. I don’t know what date the replacement was built but I recollect there were 2 foundation stones, laid each side of the doorway, as can just about be seen in photo. We used to go down the side passage on the right of the building to another building at the back for Sunday School.

Attachments

• 67C6B97A-C2E4-4195-B5A1-A0705E1B081B.jpeg
    67C6B97A-C2E4-4195-B5A1-A0705E1B081B.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I'm sure you're right about the fish and chip shop near Mrs Wallace's bakery, Roy. For some reason I can only remember the one run by "Hicky" (I suppose his name might have been Hicks) down the other way in Spark Street. I remember Hicky in his white coat with a heavy build, a crewcut and a bull-like neck. Most times we'd ask for "scratchings" (scraps of fish batter) as a freebie. And an occasional delicacy were "scallops", which I seem to remember were just thick cuts of potato fried in batter. "Faggots and mushy peas" were another treat. Of course, he served everything wrapped in newspaper and saturated in salt and vinegar. We wouldn't have had them any other way!

Regards, Ray
Hey Ray T: The fish and chip shop was owned by Walter Hickman and wife Joyce Hickman, (I am their daughter). We had it until about 1968. You have described him to a "T". He went by the name "Hick". Always did, never knew why. We moved from Kyrwicks Lane to Hall Green for a short while, he still ran the shop and then we emigrated to Australia, which is where I am now. He died in 1987 and his wife died in 1988. Have loads of memories from Kyrwicks Lane, but never been able to find any photos. It's interesting to see how others remember him.

Hey Ray T: The fish and chip shop was owned by Walter Hickman and wife Joyce Hickman, (I am their daughter). We had it until about 1968. You have described him to a "T". He went by the name "Hick". Always did, never knew why. We moved from Kyrwicks Lane to Hall Green for a short while, he still ran the shop and then we emigrated to Australia, which is where I am now. He died in 1987 and his wife died in 1988. Have loads of memories from Kyrwicks Lane, but never been able to find any photos. It's interesting to see how others remember him.
Thank you very much for all your information on "Hicky" and Joyce, Jenni. It's always great to know how people got on after partings of the ways. Our family moved from Long St to Acocks Green around 1965, so that would have been the last time we used the chippy. I hope you're enjoying life in Australia.

Hello fellow Brummies. I found this one of Shakespeare Inn. I have no further details. It was with some old photos that date around 1867, all around the Birmingham city centre. By chance there is a Shakespeare Inn near Colmore, so was wondering if this was the early version of what is there now. I Know its a slim chance with all the changes Birmingham has gone through, but any details would be appreciated THANK YOU0.jpeg. Apologies if you get different sizes of photo!!

Hello fellow Brummies. I found this one of Shakespeare Inn. I have no further details. It was with some old photos that date around 1867, all around the Birmingham city centre. By chance there is a Shakespeare Inn near Colmore, so was wondering if this was the early version of what is there now. I Know its a slim chance with all the changes Birmingham has gone through, but any details would be appreciated THANK YOUView attachment 185178. Apologies if you get different sizes of photo!!
This was on the thread in the group called 'Shakespeare tavern -Lower Temple Street' and give more info

Mark Yates is listed as a beer retailer at 2 Lower Temple St in the 1867 Kellys
I have another copy of the photo with watermark which states date c 1879

Last edited:
I was surprised to see Ind Coope on a Birmingham pub so I did a bit of research and find that they had a number of pubs in Birmingham and they list the Shakespeare Inn, Great Colmore Street as owned in 1901. Are we sure that this photo is of the Lower Temple Street pub?

Hi David
Do you have any knowledge of an island just off the Hagley Road, in the middle of the junction of two roads opposite the Ivy Bush?
My father claimed that his father was the first taxi driver in Birmingham and that his ‘pitch’ was opposite the Ivy Bush. I found an old map that shows an area marked out for a cab stand in that position - no doubt for a horsedrawn cab. The story my father told was that his father parked his motor cab there but one day the council asked him to move because they needed to build a traffic island. He refused, saying he was there first, and they agreed a compromise. He parked at one end of the area while the council built half an island at the other end with a gap through it wide enough for a taxi. When that was completed, he moved his taxi in to it and the council built the other half behind him, again with a gap for his taxi. He continued to use this space as a cab stand for some years after but I don't know when it was demolished. I have searched for photographs of this island without any luck and the taxi archive records went up in smoke some years ago. I'm hoping someone has information about it.
Played on that in the 60s.old derilict site.was told it was a hospital for infectious diseases?

Back