• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

The next five of Soho Rd

Attachments

• Handsworth Soho Rd Handsworth Library.jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Handsworth Library.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 148
  • Handsworth Soho Rd 1958 .jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd 1958 .jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Handsworth Soho Rd 1967 (2).JPG
    Handsworth Soho Rd 1967 (2).JPG
    116 KB · Views: 141
  • Handsworth Soho Rd 1971.JPG
    Handsworth Soho Rd 1971.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Handsworth Soho Rd Grove Lane .jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Grove Lane .jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 147
And the last five of this set

Attachments

• Handsworth Soho Rd Nineveh Dance Club.jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Nineveh Dance Club.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 133
  • Handsworth Soho Rd Nr Indoor Market .jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Nr Indoor Market .jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Handsworth Soho Rd Nr Waverhill Rd 1951 .jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Nr Waverhill Rd 1951 .jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Handsworth Soho Rd Outer Direction .jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Outer Direction .jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Handsworth Soho Rd Peacocks Store .jpg
    Handsworth Soho Rd Peacocks Store .jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 130
oh wow shirl what an amazing pic..just one slight correction on the location it is taken at the junction of little king st and guest st..not gt king st..i think i could be right in saying that keyhill brian lived in little king st...most grateful for this one as the church you see is st saviours on the corner of villa st and bridge st west which is running accross in your pic and our mom was christened here...only been able to find one pic of it up to now and here it is...

thanks shirl.

lynimage.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, strange they have a set of Handsworth photographs!
Is number 13 the College in Friary Road, Handsworth Wood?

Maybe it's not so strange at all. Dr Chris Upton did his Phd at St Andrews, so maybe they are there because he had them himself? I have no idea if this is the way it happened, but it is certainly a possiblity.

hi phil, i was a local lad, born in villa st 1946 and left in the early sixties.....as kids, lyn (astoness ) lived almost opposite me for the last few years before i left......the pics of soho rd are really lovey, particularly nineveh dance club. do you remember the cafe almost underneath it? i think it was called the riveara. in our early teens this was the place to be seen in the evenings. it was one of the original frothy coffee bars. i wonder if anyone else remembers it?

hi lyn...great pic of st. saviours, a truly beautiful steeple. as you know, we shared most of the history together of villa st as kids whilst living there, but do
you ever remember when they used to hold the christmas parties there for the kids of villa st?

bobbo

So pleased that you enjoy the Guest St pic, Lyn. Thank you for pointing out my error - I have shrunk "Great" to "Little" in post 757.

shirl its a joy to have for me especially given my connection with the area...would it be ok with you if i posted it on the st saviours church thread as i think quite a few of our members have a history with it..

lyn

hi phil, i was a local lad, born in villa st 1946 and left in the early sixties.....as kids, lyn (astoness ) lived almost opposite me for the last few years before i left......the pics of soho rd are really lovey, particularly nineveh dance club. do you remember the cafe almost underneath it? i think it was called the riveara. in our early teens this was the place to be seen in the evenings. it was one of the original frothy coffee bars. i wonder if anyone else remembers it?

hi bobbo...did you see shirleys pic on post 757...brilliant one...

now as to the parties at st saviours..i could well have been but when i was quite young so i have no memory of that..another one to ask our dad...

my main memory is of going to the lucas xmas parties..

lyn

hi shortie, one of the girls that used to go to the riviera was called lucy,she was a girlfriend for a while. she used to wait until she saw me arriving then put her tanner into the juke box and with perfect timing play " i wanna be bobbys girl " can you imagine the stick that i had off my mates?...( i loved it really )..the same girl used to live in grove lane just across the road about two hundred yards upon the right hand side. her parents were the caretakers who lived in the house in the churchyard...... the memories are flooding back.... incidentally, grove lane swimming baths was a twice weekly affair with us all and the turkish baths were still there in those days..happy times.
bobbo

hello again lyn....lucas"s did have xmas parties as well as st saviours, i went to one or two when dad worked there...yes lyn i did see shirleys pic, ( amazing photo shiley ).....the cafe on the corner of guest st. was a frequent spilling stop on the way back to villa st with our coal/coke filled, over loaded pram. the coal yard was further up guest st. near new john st west....old man cheek used to fill the pram and always short measured us....our kid used to sit on top of the coal while i pushed the pram. i bet a few people remember these times....
bobbo

Hi Bobbo, I know who you mean. Her name was actually Lucille unless she was pulling my leg. Blonde hair, loads of make up, my mother did not like me having anything to do with her, not sure why really, possibly the make up which was put on with a trowel. I won't say what my mother told her she looked like, but that was another friendship that went west because of what my mum said. I only went go Grove Lane baths on the odd occasion - I could not swim properly, I was (still am) afraid of the water. I did learn properly at the age of 59 though. I hated changing at Grove Lane - those doors seemed very small to me I was convinced anyone outside could see me getting changed - do you remember, they only covered the middle bit - well, down to your knees?

Thank you for the interesting link Richie

Judy

There are a number of Handsworth photos on that St.Andrews site, Jayell. What you have to do is go via the (tiny) search box half-way down on the left and put in 'Handsworth'. I've not tried it for other areas of Birmingham but 'Birmingham' will only get you those images in Birmingham indexed under Warwickshire. I'm confused too! LOL

Spent a lot of time in Grove Lane Baths in my youth Carolina. With school once a week, and then on a Sunday morning meeting the boys, and a very early boyfriend was in the water polo team there. Thanks for the photo.

Judy

hi alan. re: the church/cemetry in grove lane....bearing in mind this was over fifty years ago the distance from the traffic lights on the corner of soho rd / grove lane only seemed like a couple of hundred yards to walk there.. it may be further on than that....grateful if you could shed any light on that, purely out of curiosity....as far as lucy"s surname goes, well i never got round to asking her....well, you would"nt, would you?.....cant think why i"m smiling alan

bobbo

Back