• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old postcards

mariew

master brummie
I've been to another antiques fair and pick up some old post cards they may have been posted before but here they are anyway, also one of western in 1905 couldn't resist that one as that was the first holiday me my husband and kids had.

Attachments

• Weston_Grand-11[1].jpg
    Weston_Grand-11[1].jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
post cards

Heres the others.

Attachments

• City Victoria Square Town Hall.jpg
    City Victoria Square Town Hall.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 1
  • Town Hall Interior.jpg
    Town Hall Interior.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1
They are great mariew. I particularly like the interior of the Town Hall with those wonderful organ pipes. I sat beneath them in the late 40's singing with the Birmingham Youth Choir. :)

I wonder who the statue was on the pc of the exterior of the TH.

Wow that must have been a lovely experience how old were you then. And yes I was wondering about the statue.

They are great mariew. I particularly like the interior of the Town Hall with those wonderful organ pipes. I sat beneath them in the late 40's singing with the Birmingham Youth Choir. :)

I wonder who the statue was on the pc of the exterior of the TH.

Di So did I with BYC and I missed you again:Aah:

and thank you Mariew for the memory of those times

Last edited:
That ok alf I love these old postcards it a shame there aren't more about but when I got to my antique fairs I alway look for them, I've got my moms old film star post cards too.

Wow that must have been a lovely experience how old were you then. And yes I was wondering about the statue.

It just goes to show how much you know about Brum.........
The Statue is James Watt

I admit I said in an earlier post that I hated history when I was at school It's only now that I realise how important and interesting it is.

:angel: I used to say "Good Morning James" every morning as I passed the Town Hall on my way to catch the bus to work, but never said "Good Evening James" on my way home, because I always had a friend with me then and I would have felt foolish. :cool:

I was about 13 mariew, and it was a truly lovely few weeks going to the TH to practice weekly for the concert that was produced and conducted by Charles Groves, later knighted by the Queen.:)

We did keep missing each other Alfie, one of these days we will find a common date when we were bother there at the same time.;)

We don't all know as much about Birmingham as perhaps you do Cromwell, but we are learning.

Dont go looking for him........'cause he lives in another spot now

Di that must have been a tremendous feeling you must have been nervious in such a big place.

I'm sure it was a case of safety in numbers mariew, I loved the music we were singing and only remember enjoying the whole experience.:)

I'm sure it was a case of safety in numbers mariew, I loved the music we were singing and only remember enjoying the whole experience.:)

I think the one of the songs we sang was the Trout Di, its the only one I remember, I still remember the tune, but you can't hear it.

I would imagine those earlier Birmingham post cards would be well sought after now - They are just lovely

In the Birmingham News this week a Norman Bartlam is making fridge magnets from historic photo's he has of the Ladywood area and selling them to raise funds for their local history mag.

post cards

the first Friday of every month the have a market in Sutton town centre on one of the stalls they sell memorabilia with a large selection of post cards including Birmingham and othe local areas.
also other items of interest transport, war and signed photographs of V.I.P's
you will need plenty of time to browse I had to call it a day as June wanted to have a mooch around the shops :(

Old Postcard

I see from the old postcard of the opening of the university in 1909 that they were getting the Union Flag the wrong way up in those days.

:angel: Derby there are many people who do not know that there is a right and wrong way to hang 'The Union Jack'.

I worked at a holiday camp in the 1960's and a South African chap was responsible for raising the flag each morning.
For weeks he deliberately raised it upside down, one day my boyfriend a New Zealander now my Hubby said to me "Take a good look at the flag". I did and said "It's upside down isn't it?" He said yes and that the SA chap had been putting it up that way for over a month and no one at the camp had noticed or said any thing except him.
Being a 'Goody Two Shoes' later that day I mentioned that the flag was upside down to the manager of the camp (but did not say it had been deliberately hung that way). The manager said "Does it really matter!" "Well" I said "If you want the Campers to think the camps in distress it doesn't really!". It still took over a week for it to stat being hung the right way up.

Attachments

• flag.JPG
    flag.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for putting the flags on the forum. As you say many people don't know
the correct way. This helps a lot.

Union Flag

Pomgolian, a bit of information which may be of interest to you, many people refer to the Union Flag as the Jack, it only becomes the Union Jack when it is flying from the jackstay of a Royal Navy ship.
Regards, Darby.

:angel: Well descending from both Navel and Seafaring (Fishing, merchant) families and also marrying in to both, I've only ever known it as 'The Union Jack',
however your comments are noted and a least I know which way up it's meant to hang and fly. :cool:

Back