• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old postcards

Hi postie,

Just to confirm that all the postcards I've posted do have a Birmingham connection.

They are all postcards sent by and received by my relatives (Birmingham born and bred) during the roaring 20's.
I think they show the sentiment of the times.

Sorry, if this is not suitable for this forum?

Phil

OK Phil, then you have enlightened us to the connection, and don't worry I'll soon let you know about anything not suitable to this Forum ! .

Love the postcards Phil. I think it's important to see the wider connections of Birmingham people and to have an appreciation of how far their world reached. All part of the Birmingham history in my book, especially as Birmingham became prosperous by looking outwards. Perhaps members could remember to indicate the connection when posting. Just a thought. Viv.

Greywolf and Phil B,
Thank you for sharing such lovely cards.
I agree they are very much of the times - it's a great connection with local people in that era.
T
hey are all interesting; I like the birthday cards particularly as they are so pretty.
The really early ones from Greywolf are treasures worth seeing.

hi phil..what a wonderful collection of postcards..thank so much for sharing them with us..just what we need to cheer us up after all the bad news of late...

thanks again..

lyn

Thanks to all who have expressed their enjoyment at seeing these postcards. I'm glad that adding these to this thread was worthwhile.
It shows how much connection Brummie people have with the past.

Did any one notice in greywolf's origin post, #1, the postcard with a "swastika" on it?
It just shows how, historically, a symbol whose meaning can change from "good Luck and well being" to one of "pure evil".

regards
Phil

I have to say I agree with Viv - Birmingham people had a wider world than we realise. I have an album of poscards, collected from about 1902 until about 1916, and it is only since having this given to me, that we knew that my grandmother had gone on holiday as a child. Her parents died and she was brought to Birmingham to be raised by an aunt. This aunt took in lodgers as well as working as a dressmaker at some time, meaning my gran had to go her share of some very very hard work - such as fetching coal from the Wharf at the age of 10. Despite the harships she had to put up with, she had many holidays in Malvern, Cheltenham (her town of birth) and also in Devon, which none of us had any idea of.

Phil - Yes, I noticed the card with a swastika on it. My mother-in-law is fom India (and now lives in Birmingham) and to her it is a holy symbol representing the sun. I was pleased to see it used for its intended purpose, that of good instead of evil.
These lovely cards show us a glimpse of old-style beauty that still brings pleasure now.

am trying to find a photo of bread street in late 1880's how do I open the thumbnails
Just joined so have a lot to learn
cazap

Cazap, some time ago some low life hacked this site, and stole all the photo's, some still hav't been replaced, "sorry".
paul

Cazap, welcome to the forum, if there is a particular pic you wanted, try starting a thread and ask if anyone has one, sometimes the original poster can re post a hacked one, lots of members are doing just that to replace pics on threads, but it all takes time and some of the members are sadly no longer with us, but woth a try anyway.
Sue

cazap

This is a photo of Church St (Bread St) in 1888, is that the one you are looking for. I also have a photo of the original Red Lion on Bread St if you want that.

Attachments

• City Church St c1888.JPG
    City Church St c1888.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 37
I am just amazed at what a fabulous site this is....what I am looking for is Bread Street where there were some leather works,owned by Jordan & co and then Thomas walker.....if this is the same street that is a real help

Also have you any of brook street where he had a buckle afactory in1903

Again many thanks
cazap

Back