• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old postcards

Yes they are written on the backs jean, their a few cards that i rescued,, i use to clean appartment after they were vacated and found these just toss a side well i have this thing for history and preserving it i just love things from the past. ive posted more on this site under old cards, there were a few more i wanted to post but thought i should save room for others annie

Bring em on Annie. So glad you could see their beauty. It's very hard to find anything today of that quality. Jean.

I creat all my own cards for every occasion and people always remark about the quality but these pictures are really something else arent they.
The only way I could get anything like this quality is to use glossy photo paper and then they start to cost more money to make.

I would say a lot of it is the paper - My husband's family we in the printing business from away back . All the pictures are lovely, but I particualy like the simplicity of the heather picture and the man posting a letter. . .

Hi everyone
ive posted more card pictures under old cards in this section hope you enjoy. annie

Here are 2 Post Cards. They are from my uncle's uncle to his sister (my uncle's Mom, are you still with me?) from WW1.
I think the abbreviation, DADOS, on his PC means "Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services". Not sure why he writes "Sgt Coyne" there. I suppose they had to send post cards via a censorship team.

Another one from another side of the family, looks like 1908. By the way, if these are in the wrong place Admin, please feel free to move.

Great stuff David and the mention of Pears Soap have you tried it must have been new

Far from it, Alf! This from Wikipedia:-

Pears transparent soap is a brand of soap first produced and sold in 1789 by Andrew Pears at a factory just off Oxford Street in London, England. It was the world's first transparent soap. Under the stewardship of Thomas J. Barratt, A. & F. Pears Ltd. company initiated a number of innovations in sales and marketing. According to Unilever records, Pears Soap was the world's first registered brand and is therefore the world's oldest continuously existing brand.

Maurice

David the postcards are just wonderful. I love reading old postcards the pictures are so poinient as well. How lucky you are to have them.

Hi Wendy. Yes they're great. It's nice to have cards like but it's great when you know they were written by some long lost relative.

Having found several threads with a similar theme on postcards, I've decided to revive this thread by attaching a few postcards I have.

Here's the first 5, watch this space for more.

Hope you enjoy them.

regards
Phil

For those who are interested in old liner ships here's some that were used by my relatives. Travelling as far as the U.S.A. and as near as the Isle of Man.

To greywolf and Phil B, what wonderful cards !! I have really enjoyed looking at them.
Phil B the one of the Spanish Lady brings back lovely memories as my Nan used to send me similar ones from her Spanish holidays :)

Thank you very much for the postcards, but can you please make sure they have a Birmingham connection.

Back