• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old PO vans

hello.we had a ex morris 8 series e gpo van.for a long time.and then a van from the auction,in castle bromwich.the moggy.it was a good van.

Can anyone tell me the age of these vans by the registeration numbers, Bernard (oh! dear not myself yet sorry)

KYT 132 was a London number, issued early 1950. The aircraft behind it is a Douglas DC3, frame 13182, BEA's G-AJDE which ended its days in Zaire, Africa as ZS-BCA.
GC 8?33 was another London mark, GC ran from Dec 1929 to Mar 1930. I'd say about mid-Feb 1930 for that number. The loco behind is LMS "Royal Scot" class no 6129 "Comet", these engines were all heavily rebuilt in the 1940s with new boilers, cylinders etc (possibly complete new engines classed as 'rebuilds' on paper because of the wartime spending restrictions), this one surviving into British Railways days as 46129 "The Scottish Horse", as many were renamed after famous army regiments.

So the pictures depict the vans when almost brand new.

Many thanks Lloyd, you certainly are a mine of information, the older van is the same age as me
then, March 1930, and as I said before ,I passed my driving test in one of the other type in 1958
at Burton on Trent.Would be nice to have those days back, hardly anything on the roads, thanks
again, Bernard

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the van next to the BEA aircaft is a Morris-Commercial LC built in Adderley Park (Brum) and carries a 1950 London rego. These had a long life...into the 1960s!

dont seem able to see any of the old PO vans I posted three years ago, still have them on Picasa 3 but no idea how to post them, Bernard

Bernard, now Warren has weaved his magic, you can use the same method to load pictures that you used to use - as attachments. Is this the information you wanted?

Back