• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Pictures of Erdington (needing attention please)

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I have recently found a great book (in size as well as content) by Meacham. It includes hundreds of newscuttings about Erdington. You will see that they aren't very clear images but it's difficult to take photos and hold the book down! I'm not sure whether they are prints from the newspapers themselves or from the microfiche. I think they were probably collected in the 1960's.

I don't have Photoshop so can't enhance them but will willingly have another go at taking any that people would like to see. Unless of course someone can have a go at them please.

Perhaps we can move them to the appropriate threads once they look a bit better?

.Jun 064.jpgJun 079.jpgJun 083.jpgJun 085.jpg
By the way, I still have another four books to go through!

1. This building stood where Woolworth's was eventually built.
2. The demolition of the White Lion - is that the Palace on the left?
3. Slade Road - heavy floods.
4. Red Lion, Station Road - haven't seen one of the shops next to the pub before.

Last edited:
Next 5:
5. Moat House, Moor End Lane.
6. Witton Isolation Hospital.
7. St Agnes' Convent.
8. Smithy in Sutton Road Erdington (not sure where exactly).
9. Old Tollgate House - Gravelly Hill.

Jun 092.jpgJun 099.jpgJun 100.jpgJun 058.jpgJun 060.jpg).

Good question johnny082, I've been trying to figure where and when, the photograph was taken too. The road often flooded (see below in 2013). Water from the side roads flowed down onto the Slade during storms regularly over the years. My guess on where would be on the left of the road, just up from Slade Road School near The Star cinema and from the look of what the children were wearing, I would date it just after WW2, but these are just guesses, I'm a bit stumped!
1654782750046.png

Good question johnny082, I've been trying to figure where and when, the photograph was taken too. The road often flooded (see below in 2013). Water from the side roads flowed down onto the Slade during storms regularly over the years. My guess on where would be on the left of the road, just up from Slade Road School near The Star cinema and from the look of what the children were wearing, I would date it just after WW2, but these are just guesses, I'm a bit stumped!
View attachment 170833

Looks an interesting book Lady P. Does anyone know when the flood was on Slade Road, and whereabouts?
Johnny082, My guess is that the photo of the children padding was taken almost at the top of Slade Road. The wall belongs to the Erdington Arms and the large building in the middle is the back of the pub. It looks to me about the 1930's /1940's but I've made a note to check when I go on Tuesday as sometimes Meacham includes the date of the paper.

I was wondering what the lady was doing with the long stick? Can't be fishing!

Looks an interesting book Lady P. Does anyone know when the flood was on Slade Road, and whereabouts?
The cutting does not seem to be on the online newspaper site. From the typeface and layaout I would say it was from the Birmingham Mail. The online files for that do not seem to be complete.

But the Birmingham post of 11.8.1967 does have a big piece about flooding, including a picture of a shopper with a pram crossing a flooded Slade road . The Mail for that period is not included in the archive. To me seems likely that the photographer took a number of photos and the post used one and the Mail another

One of the pictures quotes the News, and maybe the Sutton Coldfield News as it often carried items concerned with Erdington. (Also many pictures in Birmingham press are pretty pony)

No idea when the photo in John Ls post was taken but long time after WW11 in view of flyover and indeed the lighting. We only had gas lighting in and after the war. I lived in Abbey Road, born there in 1931, and lived there until 1958. I can't remember ever having a flood on Slade road. Sadly havn't been back there for many years and wonder what memories would be stirred by such a visit, some sad, some happy no doubt.

Johnny082, My guess is that the photo of the children padding was taken almost at the top of Slade Road. The wall belongs to the Erdington Arms and the large building in the middle is the back of the pub. It looks to me about the 1930's /1940's but I've made a note to check when I go on Tuesday as sometimes Meacham includes the date of the paper.

I was wondering what the lady was doing with the long stick? Can't be fishing!
As promised I checked the date of the photo and it was 1946.

Thanks Lady P. Strange that I have no recollection of it at all, but probably because Stockland Green end. I was attending Handsworth Tech until December 1946 and use to go to Salford Bridge to get the tram to Villa Road so rarely went up that way.
What is the name of the book you mentioned? Is it still available?

Hi Johnny082, I'm trying to remember to take a photograph of the spine of the books I've photographed and managed to remember to do it this time. It's a reference book rather than one that can be taken out on loan. Meachem, the compiler of the book was a local historian so it's not available to buy. I looked at the later books but they're nowhere near as interesting and the photos are much later.

Jun 048.jpg

Back