• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coleshill St and Gt Lister St

jdknole

proper brummie kid
My great grandmother lived in Coleshill Street (No 79) and also various addresses in Great Lister Street (No's 9, 37 and 39) in the early 1900's. I would love to get hold of some old photo's of these streets at about this time. I would also like to find out whereabouts these addresses might be located.

I have discovered that the shop on the corner of Gt Lister St and Windsor St was no 34, so presumably nos 37 and 39 were located close by, perhaps on the opposite side of the road.

Can anyone help?

As an aside I happened to be in Brum a few days ago and took the opportunity to wonder from Colmore Row out to Gt Lister St. Of course Coleshill runs through the campus of Aston University, and Gt Lister St is a collection of warehouses, and small businesses. What a desolate soul-less place it has become. I felt profoundly depressed!

jdknole,

I think the thread you need to be looking at is,

and I think the man you need to speak to is GER22VAN. As I think he is the resident expert on Great Lister St and surrounding area.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks pmc1947, I did find something in that thread that helps me enormously - a Kelly Directory listing identifies 37 and 39 Great Lister Street as being a few door down from Mrs Keens shop on the corner of Windsor Street. I note that the listing for no 39 shows a Mrs Nora Pickersgill a furniture shop.
My ancestor actually lived at '4 back of Gt Lister St 39' which is presumably one of the back to backs behind the shop. Am I on the right track?

picture.php

I have found an old map of Great Lister Street showing the junction with Windsor Street. I have added numbers 34 through to 39 and placed them in positions where I think they are indicated by the 1940's Kelly's Directory (which I found elsewhere on this forum).

I have also found a photo on this forum that originated from a newspaper clipping which I think shows the same parade of shops.
attachment.php

Have I interpreted the various sources correctly? If anyone has a better photo of this part of Great Lister Street this would help me enormously. I would still like to identify where the various courts were located in this stretch. GER22VAN has suggested looking at Poll Lists - does anyone have access to such lists? I would be grateful for any pointers.

jdknole

Looks like you are doing fine to me. Just the one thing I think, if you took the listing from the 1940 Kelly's at that time there would have been a shop on that empty site on the the corner of Windsor St as I think this was bombed out during the war. Did you take this into account when you did your numbering?

If you need any assistance go to the home page, look down the different boards. Assess which one you think suits your enquiry best and place a request on it detailing what assistance you need. I'm sure it wont be long before someone comes to your aid.

Phil

Back