• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Old & New Birmingham by Robert K Dent

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I picked up the 3 volumes of "Old and New Birmingham" by Robert K Dent at the weekend car boot. They are divided into: "From earliest times to 1760", ”From 1760 to 1832" and “From 1832 to 1880". Originally published 1878 -1880 these were re-published in 1972.

There's an interesting item regarding streets and inhabitants from 1751. It was interesting to see how many inhabitants the smaller streets in the centre had. I suppose this reflected the small size of the City then. Also here are a couple of the prints.

I have the original book it has a tatty cover but the inside is fine it's a lovely book. You have a great find there David!

Sue, this is also avaiable on CD/DVD. I can't remember where I got it from though!

However, joy of joy, whilst looking for something else this afternoon, I was going through the boxes and boxes of hubbie's inherited stuff. I have found the original Old & New Birmingham! It was issued in 78 parts - and I have all 78 parts wrapped in a brown-paper parcel! Several of the parts conatin a flyer saying that it was going to be made available as a bound volume. I've checked the CD and the contents is exactly the same - but of course none of the adverts from the front and back covers of each issue are included.

I guess I'll just wrap them back in their brown paper. Maybe when the archives have moved, we should donate the entire series to them (assuming of course that they don't already have them!)

Back