• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Money

Smudger

master brummie
I set aside £50 a month for holiday spending money. My Wife asked me yesterday if i had any old £10 notes in my savings, as from the first of March they cease to be legal tender & can`t be spent in shops. I had £100 in old tenners so i`m taking them to my bank & get them changed. So, check under your mattress & anywhere else you hide your money :-}

Back in the days long after the ending of the old blue £1 notes I had a customer come into my shop with £5,000 worth that he'd "Put away and forgotten" I took them into Barclays for him and they just changed them without a comment.

One thing I thought a bit worrying was the statement that up till the final day they were withdrawn you might still gte them from cash dispensers.I'm sure that's not very likely, but would be very irritated if it did happen, as the dispensers are filled by the same people who are supposed to be withdrawing them

One thing I thought a bit worrying was the statement that up till the final day they were withdrawn you might still gte them from cash dispensers.I'm sure that's not very likely, but would be very irritated if it did happen, as the dispensers are filled by the same people who are supposed to be withdrawing them
Drew £200.00 on Saturday, from an ATM, including 3 old £10.00 notes, and yes one shop decided they were out of date, another of these 15year old manageresses showing not only her lack of knowledge but regrettably her lack of training and diplomacy when it comes to customer service. They have all gone now with no problem, interestingly enough in change recently I have been slipped more than one old pound coin and I ensured using many years of tact and diplomacy that it was slipped back to the person who proffered it. Was Nelson Eddy a tenor...here we go bringing them out of the woodwork again.

Bob

Ah! Bob, customer skills and service, something that many have never been taught or conveniently forgotten.
As far as old coins are concerned the most frequent I have ever come across were 100 pesetas coins. which when the new £1 coin was introduced were easily slipped into unsuspecting folks' change.
The new 'plastic' notes are, as far as I can seen, not appreciated by many shopkeepers, post office clerks etc.. For a start they are too slippery, they are far less easily counted when more than four are together and worse still is that when very new can be difficult to separate. Many seem to have fallen foul of handing over, inadvertently, two notes instead of one. This is usually spotted by the recipient but I am sure there are many less scrupulous people around that keep 'schtum'.

I had no idea that bank notes with such high denominations even existed, you live and learn..
Ann, £50 is the current largest denomination. It features a picture of Alan Turing. I have not seen one since an international student was unable to spend one several years ago. I sent her to the bank to get it changed into smaller notes. People won't accept them in the Midlands as they fear forgeries. In fact there are some shops who don't take cash, only cards or electronic payment. Derek

I see in Scotland they do have £100 banknotes issued by the retail banks.

New English notes with the King's portrait will be issued this summer, but the existing notes will continue in circulation.

Ann, £50 is the current largest denomination. It features a picture of Alan Turing. I have not seen one since an international student was unable to spend one several years ago. I sent her to the bank to get it changed into smaller notes. People won't accept them in the Midlands as they fear forgeries. In fact there are some shops who don't take cash, only cards or electronic payment. Derek
I think you are going to see more and more cards and electronic payment only. Cash has a way of getting lost and difficult to trace for shops and restaurants. 99% of our checks are electronic, easily controllable and traceable. When we use our cards we get an instantaneous receipt on our email from the card company and in some cases a detailed receipt from the vendor.

Back