• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Andy Underscore

Brummie babby
Hi, thanks for accepting me as a member.

In my spare time I decided an interesting project would be to digitise the various tithe maps (originally produced 1838—1845) of the area of Birmingham that used to be in Worcestershire, including the land use and names of the land parcels as they appear in the accompanying tithe book (both of these are available to view in Birmingham Library).

This map is a work in progress, and I’m doing bits and pieces as I find time.

Areas mapped so far (page also includes a blog post about the history of each area):

Stirchley | Cotteridge | Brandwood End | Haunch Heath | Kings Heath | Moseley | Balsall Heath

All of the maps produced so far can be viewed here:

https://andyunderscore.com/maps/

IMG_20181015_084648_897.jpg

I'm currently working on a historic map of Woodgate Valley - watch this space!

Hope this is of interest!

Andy

|A_S|

Last edited:
Most interesting and easy on the eye to look at. I looked at the Balsall Heath map, as that area is the subject of many threads here on BHF. It is amazing how that area has changed over the last 200 years; from open farmland with few roads and houses through to a densely populated area which reached, eventually, to almost un-liveable conditions, in parts, to a more open, greener, still well habited suburb of today.

As the others have already stated , very interesting, and a very worthwhile project

Andy,

Welcome to the Forum. An excellent enterprise bringing more useful information to local historians & genealogists alike. The fact that the information is online is particularly useful to ex-pat members like myself - I used to live in Albert Road, which has several houses dating back to the later part of the mid-19th century. I've also purchased Geoff Gwatkin's field maps of Herefordshire, but the colour of your maps and the fact that they can be accessed online is a great help. Many thanks.

Welcome Andy from me too. Impressive work, a really useful resource. Thank you ! Viv.

Great stuff Andy, have you ventured into Highgate yet? Just working on a history/natural history project with a group from Pacha House, which is the dwelling adjoining the Friend's Institute. Best wishes

What a wonderful post, I looked at the map of Kings Heath as we lived on Springfield Road for about 7 years in the early 70's onward. Interesting that it was called Springfield Road even back in 1838. We had a large shaped flat flat-stone in our garden which was located on the land owned by Richard Badham the stone Mason. Our very elderly neighbors at that time informed us this was the base of the local water pump, not certain if this was true. We also had a huge stone built pond with an ornamental fountain and a stone owl with glass eyes stood at the edge. When my Mom and Dad bought this house the pond had a resident already living there....a very large Tench called Fred, took me back to all the laughs we had trying to catch him to put him in a tin bath when we needed to clean and drain the pond. Great work Andy must have taken a long time it is well appreciated.

Fantastic work Andy! I know Mosley Bog well having taken Nature Writing students there for successive years. A superb resource.

With regards to the Moseley Tithe Map, which shows the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway, it must be recognised that it was still under construction at that time (1838)

Back