• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Maps of Birmingham

I had previously attached them to a variety of threads, so I thought I would take a lead from you :)

I do think that the new image hosting give more flexibility with the way your reference images - particularly where a particular image is relevant to several threads.

Last edited:
I like the maps Leslam. They'll come in very handy. This is the beauty of Coppermine, once you know they're there they're easy to find again. Thanks. Viv.

Ian FOFB - your badge looks like the one I had on my school jacket !!

It was my old school badge - Saltley Grammar School - so if you went there it is one and the same.
sadly the school ceased to be a Grammar half way through my time there - 1974-1979.

Yes I recognised the badge Ian. I started Saltley Grammar School in 1970, and my friends that left in the summer of 1975 left when it was still Saltley Grammar. I stayed on and left Saltley School in February 1976. You will probably remember Mr. Halls, he is now 91 and looking really good for his age. I have seen him twice in the last 5 years, and someone went to visit last month, took his photo and posted it on the Original Saltley Grammar School Facebook page.

It was my old school badge - Saltley Grammar School - so if you went there it is one and the same.
sadly the school ceased to be a Grammar half way through my time there - 1974-1979.
Hi Ian

I was there from 73 to 78 and then stayed on for 2 more years in the sixth form. I'm guessing I was a year ahead of you so no doubt our paths crossed. I was in Miss Lincoln's class, and was very keen on rugby

Yes I recognised the badge Ian. I started Saltley Grammar School in 1970, and my friends that left in the summer of 1975 left when it was still Saltley Grammar. I stayed on and left Saltley School in February 1976. You will probably remember Mr. Halls, he is now 91 and looking really good for his age. I have seen him twice in the last 5 years, and someone went to visit last month, took his photo and posted it on the Original Saltley Grammar School Facebook page.
Hi Glenys,

I'm sorry to have to inform you (all) that Gerald died recently, aged 96. I spoke to his towards the end of summer, and he did sound as if he was getting quite frail. Sad news. He was a wonderful person, and we became friends over the years. His wife, Barbara, is such a kind, thoughful and generous person, and is still going strong at 99!

Back