• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old hockley pics

Oh yes Viv, although I was too young in the 1950's to wear them, but early 1960's I had one that was similar. Glazed cotton was a fabulous fabric, you can still get it today, but not very often, and not for dresses, sadly.

That said, you could not just pop it in the tumble dryer if you needed it in a hurry, which you can do with modern fabrics, so I guess all decades have their good points!

The Palladium looks just as I remember it as a little girl in that picture of Topsy Turveys. I think Withers was an ironmongers if I remember rightly. I can remember my dad parking his car at the bottom of South Road where it came into Hockley and taking me there. I saw a little dolls house in the window and said that I loved it. I got the dolls house for Christmas that year!!

I am older than you and Viv,Shortie, and I did wear dresses like those in the window in the mid 1950's! Weren't they lovely?

Judy

Yes judy, those frocks were the most glamorous of day dresses. My two cousins used to wear dresses like that, I was so envious.

Shortie, We used to wear frou frou petticoats made of stiffened net underneath to hold the skirt out. They were very pretty.

hi stars ive got that pic down as brearley st..can you check it again....lyn

Hi Lyn
This is the only info on the photo street game, Hockley 1943.
if it is already posted let me know and i will remove it.

Stars

oops..good job ive got the 2 erics to watch me lol...sorry stars i misread your post its not your fault..do you think you can remove it and repost in the brearley st thread please..glad you put it on as its another i couldn not find..
lyn

Here is a Photo of workers at The Birmingham Box Company in
Hampton St, Hockley in 1951, perhaps you may know someone, let us know

Image1The_Birmingham_Box_Company_Hampton_St_Hockley_1951.jpg

Stars

Judy, I also used to wear those in the early 1960's, under almost anything if I remember rightly. When washed, we had to rinse them with sugar water to make them stiff again, although they never went very stiff at all. I don't remember if the wasps used to be out in force during the summer! I had a bright pink one, but I used to have to wear a straight waist slip underneath as it used to scratch my legs. I remember wearing a bright pink petticoat under a black and white glazed cotton skirt I made - gorgeous I thought it was, black and grey cherries on a white background - I am sure the pink must have shone through, but no-one ever mentioned it if it did.

qq~1.jpeg

1897, Factory Road and a young lad who appears to be retrieving a ball from The Hockley Brook.

So frustrating not being able to see some of these photos due to the recent 'hacking' episode. I would love to see a photo of 32 Hockley Hill which was next to the Post Office which still stands. No 32 was the Acme Engraving Co, where I was apprenticed as a copperplate hand engraver in 1960. The buliding was demolished to make way for the underpass. Anyone able to oblige?

Hi Folks, my home during the 50s was in Heaton St, the Palladium, of course being my local cinema - if you, like me, went to many a Saturday Matinee there you will probably remember the small factory opposite (on the junction, I thought, with South Road but on checking an old map it appears to be Claremont Road) and how tempting it was to run across its roof - so easily accessed by going up the hill towards Handsworth a little, it was then an easy step onto the roof. Anyway the factory was occupied by a company called Messer Bros. - 3 bothers who were skilled toolmakers for the motor and other trades, my mother was employed as a general workshop assistant there and she remained with them for many years including the relocation of the enterprise to an industrial estate on the College Road, Gt Barr, opposite the Lucas Sports Fields in the 60s.
I remember asking my mother if she could get a dovetail gauge made for my woodwork class, the teacher at Harry Lucas School, Mr Flemming, had one made of wood, when I showed him my Rolls-Royce version made by a skilled toolmaker in steel he was green with envy!
(Did it help me to get a good CSE Woodwork Grade? - The less said about that the better!)

Peg.

Back