• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old hockley pics

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thought i would show these pics of old hockley...apologies if they have been put on before....

astoness

hockley hill...the high pavement dated 1900

Attachments

• Hockley Hockley Hill.JPG
    Hockley Hockley Hill.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 96
the lower pavement...soho hill near hockley brook...around 1890..demolished shortly after this pic was taken.

Attachments

• Hockley Hockley Hill.jpg
    Hockley Hockley Hill.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 62
old houses in factory road with hockley brook in the foreground...date june 1897

Attachments

• Hockley Brook.jpg
    Hockley Brook.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 61
this one is quite rare...tenement housing....court 1 top of nineveh road date 1901..actually i think this is in handsworth....one of my favourites....

astoness

Attachments

• Handsworth Nineveh Rd Court 1.JPG
    Handsworth Nineveh Rd Court 1.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 46
Hi Lyn

I have seen some of these before but I haven't seen the ones of the Lower Pavement at Soho Hill, or the Higher Pavement at Hockley Hill. Thanks for posting these, they were really interesting to see. Difficult to visualise how it used to be when you look at what is there now.

Judy

You have many fascinating pictures, which I thank you for sharing. I lived in Hockleybrook and though I am now a little long in the tooth, not quite as old as your pictures.
I remember The Benyon, The Turks head the policeman standing in the centre of the road directing traffic (good job the traffic wasn't as heavy as now, thought he sometimes took his life in hand then). Izons the chemist and The Coleman sisters who ran the newsagents.
Where do you get all these great old pictures from?

Astoness, the Nineveh Road one is not that old. The guys using a cell phone. Just joking...super photo's thanks.

hi hockleybrook..no thanks are needed as i have said before i do get great pleasure in posting the pics..especially when they bring back memories to folk.... lets face it memories are all we have now of most places....oh and of course the pictures that i set so much store by....i collect my pics from everywhere really...from the library archives...out of books from the library such as the hockley ones i have just put on...and i am very lucky to have a few friends who also send me photos...

glad you like them....

lyn

rupert...dont do that to me...lol...if i was really tired i could quite easily have fell for that one....

lyn

Great photo's Lyn - thanks for posting them. I especially like the ones of Hockley Hill/Soho Hill. As has been said, it is really hard to visualise that this is how it used to look. I used to work in Naden Road and have to walk up Hockley Hill to the post office. Jules

jules and i used to walk down vyse st to the post office...take all the mail...etc...happy days i say.....

lyn

Hi Jules - I used to work on Hockley Hill, and also used to have to walk up to the post office every night after work. This was in the opposite direction to where I lived, so when the mail was posted it was back down Hockley Hill, and then up Soho Hill - kept us fit thought didn't it!

Judy

My Mother's family (Haines) lived at 79, Soho Hill opposite Naden Road till it was demolished for the Hockley Flyover

Hi
Here are a few Hockley photos, they may of been on before.

The building of hockley flyover in 1966

Image5_Hockley_Flyover_construction_19665B15D.jpg

Image6_Hockley_brook_Flyover_1968.jpg

Regards Stars

That's just how I remember it, or perhaps a little more weary than that, in the early 60's. The bus used to clock in there, the driver used to buy a cup of tea if I remember rightly before he went on his way. Just look at those lovely frocks in the window! Oh for those times again.

Love the dresses in Doyles. Remember having ones like that made of glazed cotton. The material always felt fresh. And sooooo feminine! Viv.

Back