• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charles Heely beermaker Brearley Street

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys

i hope i am on the correct thread for this question and that is i have been given a very dark green bottle
and on it and its also embossed in a dezign my daughter bought it for me from a dealer
and heavvy embossed is the name of charles heeley and stated the year of 1870 of aston is also is embossed
i was wondering whether or not some-one can tell me any think of this person named on and all around the bottle
of charles heeley aston ;1870 my first thught it was some kind of pop bottle or a beer bottle
the ca that goes in the top also as it printed as charles heeley aston in the same form ofblack substance as the very first stopper of r whites lemonade ;if any body can recall those days of those hard screw in tops
i would really appreciate for any info ; on this as it as to be part of aston early manufacturing bussiness surely ;
i will await for my son to come and may be he can get a picture on the thread of it
many thanks and i look foreward to hope some one can recall the nameof charles heeley aston year 1870
happy new year every body astonian

Re: old glass ottles of aston ;

Good morning john ; and a happy new year to you ; and thank you for a fast responce ;
was this charles heeley a beer retailor of beers in the sence ofselling it bottles from over the counter or was ahe a beer manufacturing in the trade if he was not produceing beer on a large scale was these bottle just is own personal trade mark
which i think it may have been expensive to have been made by the glass blowers in the trade
i will get my son to down load the picture today when he comes over ;
many thanks john again for enlighting me of its origin; best wishes astonian

According to my copy of "Public House Checks of B'Ham and Smethwick" 176 Brearley St. W. Was the Rose & Crown pub.

Barrie.

edited to add; you can find it on page 61.

There is a Charles Heeley at the Fountain Tavern, Duddeston Mill Road in 1871.
In 1881 he was a publican at 394, Victoria Rd, Aston.
By 1891 he is at 192 Lichfield Road,described in the census as a Wholesale Bottler,beer.
In 1901 his son was living at "Woodlands",Kingsbury Road and described as a Director of Beer Bottling Company,along with brother Harry,also a director and brother W Vernon who was a manager of the company.
Charles senior died in 1897,leaving total effects of £9989 8s 5d.
Probate granted to sons Charles and Harry.

Last edited:

Son Charles Alfed Heeley died in 1934 leaving effects of £99177 2s.

McKenna's "Birmingham Breweries" mentions that in 1927 Holte's brewery took over the bottling Company of Charles Heeley of union St

If someone is searching for an 'ottle' then he has not found the right place. However a bottle collector might miss it. Why not add the 'b' Astonian. Who knows it might be of decent value and offers might ensue. I think these finds are interesting though and bring to light companies that have been lost for a long time. I suspect that younger bottles are of more interest though...sealed with the contents ready to go...down.

Good morning rupert ;
my son is coming over today to photograpgh the bottle for me to put on the thread for any one whom can advance me on its
history as a astonian ; its a very much intrest to myself as of my back ground and my knowledge of local brewers and my father
whom was inolved with the licence trade and myself f course ; i have old ledgers going back to hevery early years
of a couple of licence pubs my daughter puchased this bottle from an antigue dearler in brum ; i shall asked er whom and where this bottle was purchased from she did say this person as got alot of old stuff concerning aston ; and he gave her his bussiness card
so i will probaly track him down and see what else he has he also told her he as alot of the early years of bottles from worcestershire
so i would be very intrested to see what else he as ; thanks every body fr helping out to establish the excact of he origin of where in
aston the botle started out and especiay with the yer engraved on the bottle
his crest on the bottle his highly raised on the bottle with his name and date and district
from top to bottom of the bottle it should be on the thread byfive oclock today i hope ; astonian

Here photos of bottle as promised

IMG_0361.png

IMG_0362.png

IMG_0363.png

IMG_0365.png

IMG_0366.png

IMG_0370.png

I found these stone Jars in an old shed of the house I purchased in Erdington in 1962. the dates on the jars frm left to right are 1916 1924 and 1912 What would have been the contents ?? The small jar is a memento from my days at PO Telephones (now BT) used for topping lead acid
Old_Jars_001.JPG
batteries up in customer telephone systems Eric

Last edited:
Eric
They would have contained things such as ginder beer, sarsaparilla etc. A couple of refs that might interest you are: https://www.network54.com/Forum/217936/thread/1212983065/1248583760/Sarsaparilla++going%2Cgoing-

https://www.otley.co.uk/museum/report2008.htm - this one towards the bottom of the page
Tricketts are not listed in the1904 or 1924 directory, so were probably quite short lived if 1916 refers to a date.
Howarth Bros are listed in the 1921 Kellys as at 142 Brantley rd witton, so presumably moved from church Rd.
thomas Saxon & co were at 123A Balsall heath road in 1921, just to the left of the Picturedrome cinema.

George Law Trickett was a Botanical Brewer,born in Lancashire and he lived at "The Poplars" Goldthorne Hill,Wolverhampton.
He died in 1922.

Hi cookie
these jars are sopopular now people are buying then for about tn pounds quite often ;
and they are useing them as hot water bottles they are great for tat use and they stay hotter and longer than the tradional water bottle ; i know because we used them and i know other people whom do so indeed ; astonian

I found these stone Jars in an old shed of the house I purchased in Erdington in 1962. the dates on the jars frm left to right are 1916 1924 and 1912 What would have been the contents ?? The small jar is a memento from my days at PO Telephones (now BT) used for topping lead acid
Old_Jars_001.JPG
batteries up in customer telephone systems Eric
I have one of those small jugs. The GPO (Telephones) and BT used to provide and service call out systems on fire stations part of which was banks of batteries for stand by use when power outages occurred. When this system was replaced with pagers, equipment was changed and older items removed. The jug was left behind. It stayed at the fire station for some while until better use was found for it.

Hi guys my dear friends indeed, i just want to thank you all for all of you
for responding to my request and givingme further history of the company and brewers
i have got a series of very old tradional ledgers from some old tradinal inns
when in those days it was writen by feather pens and the ink well they are all old tradional binding
from 1800,s when the licences used to draw the old caskets of ale each morning and i am a highly
dedicated to pub memorabilitys i do have other bottles and of certain whiskey from the early years unopenend
i am saving it for my son for his old age he is in is fortys and i am hoping it will fetch him some good stiff finances
when i am long gone best wishes as always ,, Alan Astonian,,,,

Back