• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD FRIENDS

K

Kate

When I first saw her I didn’t like her much at all. She was kind of old-fashioned and I felt quite embarrassed to be seen with her. But as time went on I forgot about her failings and we became inseparable. I didn’t give a hoot what people thought about her. She was only small and black, you see, and sometimes she smelt a bit strange. Some of my friends looked down their noses when they saw us together. I loved her, although at times she was very cold and I had to treat her with special care before she would warm to me.

We went everywhere together and traveled many miles around the little island where I live at the base of the Australian mainland. She usually answered when I called her but sometimes I must admit she let me down badly. But I always forgave her and before long we were off on our travels again, happy to be in each other’s company.

One day when I left her standing in the street for too long she ran away. My heart froze when I saw she wasn’t where I had left her. What would I do if I’d lost her? What if she had been hurt – or worse? I hated to think that in her wild freedom she would hurt anyone else. I raced down the steep hillside from the spot I last saw her and all at once stopped in my tracks. There she was in all her splendour, she had just fallen and hurt her nose that’s all – nothing that couldn’t be fixed up with a little powder and paint.

Finally I foolishly decided I would have to give her up and move on to bigger and better things. She had been my friend for so long that the parting tore me apart. I felt like a fickle friend, but I had fallen in love with a nearly new Mini Minor, you see, and decided to sell my dear old Morris, my first car. I have never forgotten her and was pleased to hear that her new owner restored her to the glory of her youth. I should have kept her and restored her myself but I was young and yet to realize the true value of old friends.

Make new friends
But keep the old
For one is silver
The other gold.

Had me there for a while, Kate; I thought she would turn out to be a dog.  :roll: I can well understand how you feel about her, I still think about my 1960, Electric Blue A35 Estate (the Blue Potato, as my eldest called it for some obscure reason).

Nice little tale.

Thanks.
clap.gif

And so did I!

I thought it was going to turn out to be a dog too so a very lovely twist to an even better story.
My first car was a Ford Anglia with no synchromesh first gear (you had to stop to put it in first)
That's all I'll say about old 'Bessie', 18 months I had her and she never let me down.
I'll make you lot a promise though , if you even START to talk about your 'Old blue eyed, drop nosed frog sprite with the overhead wobble shaft and the backdrop nutmeg wobble thropper converter..I'm out of here..cos trust me, I'll lose the will to live. 8)

:D Great story Kate very cute...
I have never owned, or driven a car of my own 'Chauffeur' driven everywhere that's me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris :)

Poetic End

:) A nice story KATE,, I thought the little Poem at the end was so right,
Cheers tazzy :wink: john

Loved it Kate. Our first love was a Ford Poplar, the new shape of the late 1950's.. She was bright yellow, and I loved her, but Brian thinking he should, sold her after two years without my saying goodbye, and traded her in for a new Anglia, as a 'surprise' for me. Powder blue drop nose Kandy. :roll: I hated her. :cry:

Back