• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old football photo

MoBo

Brummie babby
I have an old football photo and know nothing about it except that they are cup winners and there is a small boy with a football with ragged school 1910 -11 written on it.Has anyone any information about the team or where the photo was taken?

Hello MoBo welcome to the forum there are some great people on here who may be able to help is it possible for you to scan the photo and post it on this thread? Dek

Great old photo, looks like the Villa. Infact, I'm sure it is. Isn't that a young Alex Mcleish dressed in a suit and seated on the left?

hello and Welcome MoBo, very interesting photo! I tried to magnify and read the writing on the ball no success. The cup looks interesting too, have you any history or details where the photo came from.
Is there anybody that can make the inscription on the ball out and the date looks like 18-- ??

View attachment 68697Here is the photo hope I have attached it correctly I am new to computing

Hello & Welcome MoBo what a great photo, have you and information about it? Tried to magnify the script on the ball failed looks like 18 and something. The trophy looks familure but can't quite put my finger on it. Unusual 14 medals.

Can any body throw any light on the photo?? Its a good mystery to solve.

could that note on the ball read " Aston RC School 1800" & like the aston boy football team of later years they are using the villa kit ?

could that note on the ball read " Aston RC School 1800" & like the aston boy football team of later years they are using the villa kit ?

Hello Baron if this is a school team it,s the oldest team of school kids i,ve ever seen.:) 1800 is a little early I don,t think football as we know was in progress at that time more like 1900.I still lean towards an old Villa Team as I would not think teams were copying each others kits that early. Dek

yes I have managed to magnify the inscription and it reads Ragged School 1910-11 the only thing I can tell you is that it was in some old photos of a relative who was born in Birmingham in 1902. It has intrigued me so I am hoping some one out there may be able to solve the puzzle

The more you look at the photo the more you see in the detail
(1) Two of the players have badges on their shirts I wonder what these signify
(2) 14 medals 12 players who has the other 2, are 2 of the men in suits reserves or was there a manager and trainer if so I think these more likely.
(3) Some are wearing rosettes are these committee members

The Ragged School I,ve no idea on this one, could the relative be one of the children of a team member it would be nice to able to answer some of the questions. Dek

Looking at that trophy is it the Football League Trophy and that is actually the villa team1910/11? It has a distinct figure on the trophy top of the similar FA cup of the same era.
Look like pro's not schoolboy like people?
What an interesting puzzle to solve

I think you have cracked it Alf, Villa Reserve team at the Ragged School in Nechells for a photo call in 2010/11 season when they won the Birmingham District League Title

Hello Bob like you say Alf may have this the lads in the photo all look like young men and could be the reserve team Just a point of interest where did you get the Ragged School Nechells from I only found a mention of three Penn St,Whitton Hall and Harbourne.Dek

O.K.Bob no probs I,m leaning towards Whitton Hall as I read in Wendy,s post that the boys were relocated to here from Penn St in 1902 and Penn St closed in 1905 it would also fit with Villa Park being in the same area although I am guessing a bit on that as I have not found the position of Whitton Hall.Dek

Back