• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old flats on Washwood Heath Rd 1980's

Macca

master brummie
A friend of mine says she remembers visiting an old aunt of hers who lived in a flat on Washwood Heath road (Alum Rock Rd end). The Aunt and her husband had lived there for many years and the flats looked really old and quite run down. She wants me to look for them on the electoral roll but can't remember their surname! She last visited in the 1980's. Can anyone remember these flats, help me out please?

Macca

I remember the flats in the 60s, they were called the Barrack flats.
They were set back behind a grassy area on the right hand side from the Gate between Philimore Road on the right and Hutton road on the left.

I don't know whether the name came from the fact that they were quite ugly and looked like Army barracks or they were originally used to house
servicemen from the old Army barracks that was further up the road by Bennets Road and demolished in the 1950s I think.

Last edited:
hi maca ;and friends
as i do not go that way when ever i come to brum is it possible some one could tell me whether or not the old gardners club is still at the end of of washwood heath end near5 to the gate pub as i used to know was there and attended when ever i had the chance
i recall a guy whom was the steward there at one time many years ago he had a disabled son and they lived in ward end park rd ; ;does anybody recall them ;
and he used to frequent the ward end ex service club as he lived at the bottom of the rd
many thanks astonian ;; alan ;;

Thanks for that Alberta, I couldn't find a Patrick and Ellen on the Electoral Roll up to 1955 so they must have moved in after then. Astonian the Gardeners Club is still very actively in use I believe.

Macca

Are you thinking of the flats almost opposite Hutton Road? These backed onto Exton Way and there was a rough grassed area in front of them. They were actually maisonettes (on 3 levels). we lived there late 50s to 1962 when we moved to Cannock. Great view of the railway at Saltley especially with binoculars.

John

I used to live at 16 Exton Way up to the mid 50's, cut my hand open rolling down that grass on Washwood Heath Rd side, just in front of the gardens... I recall seeing the smoke pouring out of the trains at Saltley railway......

Hi John, I was only about 6 at the time before we left for my Grandads vacant house in Kingstanding. I recall the Ingrams, possibly Burfords, let me see whats on Ancestry and the Midland Registers. I may be able to post up some names. I went to Highfield Road Juniors. Still have a pic of some dance lessons in the hall there. Keith Attwell

When I was there in 1955, at No 14 was the Brady's. On the list of names we have - Ellison,Sibley, Rose, Bellamy, Mullen, Purvey, Smith, Watkins, Lightfoot, Davies, Mills, Attwell, Brady, Burford, Beasley, Goode, Pedley, Abella, Pitt, Ingram, Cashmore, Trevis and Gough. You may recall some of these.

We (the Leroux family) exchanged houses with the Brady family of No. 14, they moved into our house at 7 Parliament Street, Aston. I went to Highfield Road School for about 4 years 1957-1961 ish. Merry Christmas, John

Saltley armature garners is still going,just about surviving.many clubs in area have closed including ward end social,high field road ,which as been taken over by Asians for functions. Also the leyland club on alum rock road as been demolished.most pubs have shut down in the area, the brook hill the latest a couple of months ago. The Albion on saltley viaduct is still open,the nearest pub as far as I know now is fox and goose pub
regards reg Morris

good to hear the gardners is still going ,shame about the other pubs ,it's the same here in cornwall, people don't have the money anymore ,is the cross guns still open?

Hi bob , pubs closed also cross guns, barley mow, the rock. Swan, pelham, broadway the bull stechford. Village tavern gate
all the best r morris

Christ can't believe it,I came back for a short visit to catch up with some freinds I played football with asa teenager, didn't have time to drive through, I'm up again shortly I will have a look around the old stamping ground ,I think I may be in for a shock.
tks Morris anything else you can think of I love to read about it.

The same is happening here, british style bars closing all the time. Mind you, a decent brandy in supermarket costs £6.27 a litre, bottle of wine £3.22 so no real surprise.

I agree tony ,does anybody rember the cafe on the corner of wash wood Heath and Wright road ,Ivan recall the guy in ther had one arm I used to go in just to listen to the jukebox ,

Hi John, I was only about 6 at the time before we left for my Grandads vacant house in Kingstanding. I recall the Ingrams, possibly Burfords, let me see whats on Ancestry and the Midland Registers. I may be able to post up some names. I went to Highfield Road Juniors. Still have a pic of some dance lessons in the hall there. Keith Attwell
Hi I was wondering if you could help me I am looking for someone who went to Highfield toad school she was born in 1972 surname was foster . She nay have lived in Bennets road no 32 . Did you know this girl ease I am looking for her .

Back