• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

Blimey - so the 'new' Matthew Boulton is now the 'old' Matthew Boulton......

I read once that The Angel is/was the oldest pub in Brum, i.e., the oldest building that was actually built as a public house, some time in the 1930's I believe. Only went once, years ago...a real den of iniquity.

Big Gee

Me neither Old Mohawk, but I certainly enjoy them now. It's great that someone had the foresight to take these photo's isn't it?

Blimey - so the 'new' Matthew Boulton is now the 'old' Matthew Boulton......

I read once that The Angel is/was the oldest pub in Brum, i.e., the oldest building that was actually built as a public house, some time in the 1930's I believe. Only went once, years ago...a real den of iniquity.

Big Gee

Just noticed - for "1930's" read "1830's". I have a vague memory of reading that Wellington's administration passed an act requiring the licensing of public houses, or something like that.

Big Gee

As a newcomer to this fascinating site, it has been wonderful to see those pictures put up by Oldmohawk,

It has been frustrating reading through the threads but no pictures to see (yes, I understand about the hacking and why they are missing)
So I would like to say thank you to all those who are again gracing the site with these wonderful pictures.

Hi Patsi - Nice to see you on the forum. Lyn originally posted the wonderful set of pics with a great effort of scanning a large collection of old Evening Mails see post#1. They were lost in the 'hack', but I had borrowed (saved) most of the pics so I could repost them into the forum Image Host Coppermine and put them into galleries here. I am slowly putting links from the galleries to the full size pics.
The original reason I joined the forum can generally be seen here.
oldmohawk

hi,folks, greats,pic,s....i am on a search of photos, taken around 1979/80/81..of the demolition of st martins estate, in highgate,..i have afew clipping, but no date, the reporter was a [tom smith]..if you guys come across any images could you plz, let me know the date, time, if poss..thanks in advance...regards,...christy..

hi,folks, greats,pic,s....i am on a search of photos, taken around 1979/80/81..of the demolition of st martins estate, in highgate,..i have afew clipping, but no date, the reporter was a [tom smith]..if you guys come across any images could you plz, let me know the date, time, if poss..thanks in advance...regards,...christy..

birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2509Cached Is there anything on this old site on the forum?

cheers,carolina..it has pic,s but not the ones, i am after..here is a clipping of the pics, i am trying to search for..225442_1056081816166_1649480665_188227_7387678_a.jpg

It's my first time of viewing this thread and I found it quite enjoyable. In post #435 where "old Mohawk" reposts some of Lyn old photos the question is asked Where is this Paynes shoe repair shop? Well I don't know if was ever answered but, the location was the corner of Spring Vale & Bristol Rd which I think was just the other side of Spring Vale to the Bristol Cinema.

Phil

I too am really enjoying viewing the photos, I'm so sorry to hear the Forum was hacked recently. I know how much effort it must be to gather things together again, well done to all the dedicated volunteers!
OldMohawk mentions the images are posted to to the "Forum Image Host Coppermine" - is there a link to that? Is it part of this forum or an image share site like Flickr?

I small tip for anyone scanning printed photos with print on the other side of the sheet (like newspapers) - if you put a sheet of black paper behind the image it prevents print on the back side appearing on the front and interfering with the image. The scanner adjusts to the tone of the paper so you still get a bright image scan. :)

It's my first time of viewing this thread and I found it quite enjoyable. In post #435 where "old Mohawk" reposts some of Lyn old photos the question is asked Where is this Paynes shoe repair shop? Well I don't know if was ever answered but, the location was the corner of Spring Vale & Bristol Rd which I think was just the other side of Spring Vale to the Bristol Cinema.

Phil

The Bristol Road Paynes shop is the obvious choice: corner property with traffic lights adjacent, and sporting a heavyweight Esso hoarding too.

https://www.photobydjnorton.com/BristolRdNrBristolCinema.html

Phil
Thanks Phil - I've edited the caption in post #435 and a click on the mini photo will now show the large view. I am slowly putting in links from the galleries to the large photos - most in #421 do already link.
oldmohawk

OldMohawk mentions the images are posted to to the "Forum Image Host Coppermine" - is there a link to that?
It is owned by the BHF and there is a large blue 'button' near the top of the forum page with the words 'Birmingham History's Image Hosting' in it - click on it to go there and register if you want to.
oldmohawk

hi folks, on the look out for a photo, of chad/valley factory, in Alcester st..cheapside..[digbeth]..the building had the logo,[chad/valley toys]..on the side of the building..in the 70s,..many thanks..

Sorry to be such a "newbie" but How do you open "attached thumbnails"? I have tried every which way without luck. Help, please!

hi flossierfoster any images posted before post number 420 were lost when the forum was hacked last year so unfortunately you wont be able to see them...pics posted after that you should be able to see ok...

hope this helps..

lyn

Sorry to be such a "newbie" but How do you open "attached thumbnails"? I have tried every which way without luck. Help, please!
If you are trying to open attachments in early posts in this thread, they were lost in a hack attack on the forum in 2011. I re-posted galleries of Lyn's photos and you can see them if your click here and when you get to the galleries many of the photos will enlarge if you click on them.
oldmohawk

hello,forum..Looking for photos of Val- Products in sherlock st..it may have had a write up in the Evening Mail..as it was one of the 1st DIY..Stores. opened late 70s. it was sold in the 80s.. did the Green family run it..regards..christy.

Back