• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old evening mail pics.....

Hi Christy!
I can't remember the name of the owners but do remember that it belonged to a Jewish company because shops could not open on Sundays then, unless they were of such a faith - ie Sunday was not their Sabbath. I remember going there and still have a mirror I bought in the early 70s. It was the first DIY store in Birmingham and used to be packed with people. I loved it!
Best wishes
Flossie

Please see message at top of page as many of our photos were lost.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Hello Flossie - All of the pictures in early posts were lost when the forum was hacked in October 2011. I had copied them all as they were originally scanned from old evening mails and posted by Lyn, and have put them in four picture galleries. If you go to those galleries and click on the pics most of them will open up to big pics.
click here to go to Gallery 1 and from there you can go to the other galleries.
oldmohawk
ps...I've just checked it is ok on an iPad.

Last edited:
Hi old Mohawk!

Thank you so much. I remember now about the damage caused by the hacking and I am very grateful that you did so much to save the photos. Thank you for the link and all of your hard work. It is much appreciated.
Best wishes
Flossie

My Post and Mail colleagues used to joke about Finlays newsagents but I thought it was in Snowshill arcade?

I'm about to start work reinstating attachments to this thread, very many of the original attachments were posted by Astoness (Lyn) but after the hack Old Mohawk (Phil) replaced them almost entirely. I have spoken to Lyn and she agrees that the best way round this would be to delete all her original posts that do not contain images or those with anything that is important to the thread and therefore leave Phil's photos in situ.

Last edited:
under repait.JPG

I think I have more or less repaired this thread, as previously stated I've had to delete quite a few posts (mostly Lyn's) so if a post mentions a photo that you cant find try looking in the gallery's posted by Old Mohawk as you will probably find them there.

There are 5 posts by "The Baron" that I'm unable to replace because there is not enough information, these are posts #33, #36, #50, #51 & #115. If you can replace them yourself that will be fine, if you don't still have the photos contact me with any information about the photos and I will see what I can do.

As usual if I don't hear anything within ten days then I will remove the photos along with any connected conversation. Once again if any original poster is unhappy with any replacement image they are perfectly entitled and at liberty to replace them.

Thanks Phil, I'll wait until "The Baron" answers or not concerning the other photos and I'll work out what to do about it then, If it is on here twice already then I see no sense in keeping it, but as I say good manners dictate that I wait.

Back