• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Church, Edgbaston Lookups

sarunte43

master brummie
If anyone would be able to look for this marriage--Joseph Parkes and Maria Gilbert? Sept. 9, 1851, Edgbaston Parish Church,

Any information about occupation, witnesses, etc. will be appreciated!
Thank you
SR

I will probably be going to the Birmingham Reference Library on Friday (12th Feb), i'll have a look for you.

Regards

Steve

p.s. Where did you get the information from re date and venue? I can't see this listed on the Free BMD index?

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, I think I need to revise this one. It should have been 9 Sep 1821, Edgbaston. I found this marriage on IGI on line. I'm not sure it's the right couple that's why I'm hoping there is a clue (occupation, or something) in the record.

Plus clutching at straws...My gr. grandmother's middle name was Maria. Maria Gilbert (if she is the right one) would be my 3X gr. grandmother....

SR

Ok, back from the library. Joseph Parkes, batchelor of this parish, married Maria Gilbert, spinster of this parish, married by banns on the 9th September 1821. Both Joseph and Maria made their marks. Witnesses were John Merrick (signed) and Sarah Carr whom made her mark X

If you IM me your e mail address, i'll send yo a copy.

Regards

Steve

I've been browsing the Parish Records books of St Nicholas, Warwick and came upon a reference to the "Old Church" Birmingham. This is in releation to a Mary Nicholls who married a Jonathan Cotterill on 12th Dec 1853. He was in the Warwickshire Militia and was away with his Regiment leaving Mary and her 2 children destitute. Due to the fact that Jonathan was deemed to be legally resident in Norton under Cannock, his family was being sent there from Warwick to receive the poor relief.

I was wondering if anyone knows which of the many Churches in Birmingham at the time would have been referred to as the "Old Church".

david there is a st bartholomew (old church) edgbaston ..it would be interesting to find out about that ref you found..

lyn

Morning Lyn, yes I'd heard the Edgbaston Church referred to as the Old Church Edgbaston before but wondered if there was one just called Old Church. I've been searching for their marriage and whoever wrote the parish record misspelled the surname. It' Cottrell, not Cotterill. I've found the marriage on both Ancestry and FreeBMD but of course there's no reference to the Church. I'll keep digging.

In the 1849 PO directory there is llsted St georges new Church, so , by implication, but not actualy written, "St Georges church , top of upper Tower st" is the old one. Not what you asked i know.

Hi, does anyone have any christening details 1950's for this church, please? If so, plse PM me as relates to living relatives. Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Old Chruch, Edgbaston

Have contacted the church but records for the period I need are either at the Birmingham Registry office, or Birmingham Library...... is anyone by any chance going to either in the near future, and could look up the baptism record for me - I cannot, as am in Tunisia!!
And a very peaceful Christmas to you all and prosperous New Year!

Hi,

A number of my ancestors in the early to mid 1800s married at Edgbaston Parish Church, but neither partner lived there - residing in Aston mostly. I have always assumed that this was because the church was a more attractive venue, but wonder whether there is any other reason?

hi zippy ;
you are quite correct its a very nice area and surrounding inside and out side my nepwew got married at that church in the early eightys
he was born and raised from catherine street aston ; and moved and lived in harborne all his life and had his reception at the catholic church in kings heath
he used to be the trader of the vans and lorries at the big old round about on perry bar next to the old alexander birchfield athletic grounds and ran the market stalls in the corporation street market facing the old behive and his father was making and selling towels of all patterens and dezigned tea towels hand towels and bath towels
down in the basement of the old bee hive on the corner of albert street now lives in a big posh house in sutton astonian;;

Back