• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old car snaps

cheers EG had the same sort of problem with that reference before re MkI.s Phase ones etc think it was the standard vanguard if memory serves me right:) might be overseas designations LOL:)

Took this last year outside packwood house,
her in doors took a fancy to it, grt old motor.
regards Derek

Nice one Derek a classic rover one of the first cars I ever went to work in Not mine I hasten to add but I was an electricians Mate in the early sixties and one of the leccys had one he used to complain about the price of fuel then so nothing changes does it? LOl:D

here is one we tend to forget the notable if not reliable NSU ro80 ..although the concept of it is still going strong in the mazdas today:)from wiki again

Last edited:
This is a photo of my 1939 Standard Flying 8. The photo was taken on the car park of Rootes Birmingham in 1959. The car park was a cleared building site between Charlotte Street, George Street and The Parade.

what a great reg no "ere you r" my dad had a standard flying 8 like that only problem was on holiday in Beer in devon we had to reverse uphill because it struggled in forward gear :D nice picture

Nice photo rocketron,and welcome to the forum,
you,re among friends here.
put where you,re from in brum, and what if anything you mite,
have of interest to share with the forum?
happy days. regards dereklcg
PS used to be a big fan of rocket ron (Ron Haslem) in my biker days.

the Classic capri D nice one I pass one that sits parked on Umberslade rd stirchley fairly regular it never seems to move which is a shame either that or I just pass when it is home ?:rolleyes::D

Sorry if I am duplicating my request - have posted these photos under misc. snaps asking for information regarding dating the photographs. Then I found this thread and thought it fitted my query. Thought it may be possible to give an approx date from the car. If anyone could give me any information regarding the car, which would help me date the photographs it would be much appreciated.

View attachment 29375View attachment 29376View attachment 29377

OH - I thought that one was the Classic and the Classic Capri was the two door coupé version?

https://www.geocities.com/fredpipes/fccoc/

Bernie,

My friend had a Classic Capri (definitely 2-door) and I drove it back from Brighton one night when my pal was ill. After about an hour it lost first gear and was well on the way to losing second by the time we got home. Nice car, though, but not a patch on the later Capri, which IMHO was a fabulous motor.

Big Gee

Only contact I had with one was when my then MiL opened the door of my ancient Morris Minor into the door of a brand spanking new white one. The guy was livid as he has just paid "Over a £1000-00 for this car". I could see his point. My Fil - quick as a flash gave him name and address so that the could send the bill (it only needed a touch of car polish). I never knew how quick witted my FiL was at making up a believable name and address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie,

My friend had a Classic Capri (definitely 2-door) and I drove it back from Brighton one night when my pal was ill. After about an hour it lost first gear and was well on the way to losing second by the time we got home. Nice car, though, but not a patch on the later Capri, which IMHO was a fabulous motor.

Big Gee
it wasnt just your opinion Big Gee :) Have driven a few capris and smashed a few :( always good fun to drive especially in younger days :D

Last edited:
Sorry if I am duplicating my request - have posted these photos under misc. snaps asking for information regarding dating the photographs. Then I found this thread and thought it fitted my query. Thought it may be possible to give an approx date from the car. If anyone could give me any information regarding the car, which would help me date the photographs it would be much appreciated.

View attachment 29375View attachment 29376View attachment 29377
Jules - I am sure that had anyone been able to hazard a guess at a date then they would have done so. I did not reply as I have nothing of value to suggest. Cars at that time would have been kept going for many years as there were no MOT's and people made them last as long as they could.

It might be able to help if you were able to supply larger copies of the photos as I found it hard to even distinguish what make the car was. The only chance [for a year] might be by the clothes of the people shown.

Give the folks a good crack at it and if they can then they will deliver the goods.

I did make photos larger on original post to try and help as the originals were a bit small :)and as Bernie said the cars were kept longer then:)

Back