• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old car snaps

OtherHalf

posher half
Here are a few snaps I took while out today at kidderminster Station it was a sixties transport event

Last edited:
I put this on a thread about one year ago where I'm not sure but I thought it belonged here. What make would uncle's car have been?. Jean.

Nice one Eric can't get the Photos to enlarge not your fault:)

Great Photos OH but can I make a plea - please only take photos of 'Old' cars that are pre-1964 as I get both nostalgic and feel older when I see 'Old Cars' that I knew as prototypes. Just kidding but it does bring home ones age.

Regarding the Bristol - Bristol Cars was I am told founded by someone whose relative was high up on the Board of [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, MS Sans Serif]Bristol Aircraft. The car company was situated on the main Bristol Site at - I think - Filton. After Bristol Aircraft was taken over and became part of BAE the car company remained on the site. It subsequently turned out that all the costs such as power, telephone and rates was still being paid by BAE. In fact if you were to phone Bristopl Cars in thoise days you were first answered by teh BAE telephonist who put you through. Most security to get into any car company in those days.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Otherhalf, thanks for starting the thread. I love older cars and I really prefer the body styles to modern models. I had a Standard Eight, Standard Vanguard, Ford V 8 Pilot, Humber Hawk and a Super Snipe ex army staff car and a 3 litre Vandem Plas. I know these were not as old as those in your pictures but I loved them.

Nice Car CV there Stitcher. The Healey 3000 and the Bristol would be a similar era to your Humbers possibly?

glad you like them here are a couple more Norma you might recognise one of them LOL:)one thing about this history lark I have learned is to take a camera with you... wherever you go .. anywhere ..as you never know what you will find of interest to yourself and others :)ps Eric like the link cars and buses nice

Last edited:
Tom,

Thought you might like to see this one. It's my sister in law's father, John Weston, when he was a test driver. This was was taken in 1932.

Ann

What a great job every schoolboys dream ...test driving cars or planes and getting paid for it heaven:rolleyes::rolleyes::Dthanks Ann

My dad's first car, a Clyno 'Royal' 2-seater (plus dickey seat at the back!); and a stretched 4-door VW beetle used as a German taxi, at a show.

Bernie, I think the Super Snipe was a bit older than the 3000 but I am not sure. It had the outside front mudguards and large running boards. I also had a mark 3 jag. I took my M.I.Law and my wife to a funeral in Petswood, London and the exhaust started to blow. When we entered the cemetary a uniformed man was on the gate. He stopped each car for some reason. As we went in I appologised for the noise and all he said was " you won't wake anyone up in here chum". My Mother In Law was very irate because the funeral was for a member of her family.

That's a 1948 model OH it came out at the end of 1947 at the same time as its smaller lookalike the mark two Hillman Minx. E

Thats the one Otherhalf exactly the same except mine was black and had a small dent in the drivers door. Made in 47 and I had it in 55.

Ah now I see. We nearly had those as our wedding cars Stitcher - the Pullman bodied ones. Instead we had a 'Vanden Plas' Princess and an Austin Sheerline.

Footnote - the wedding cars were supplied by The Co-Op in Stirchley. In those days the same cars (other than the hearse) were used for both Weddings and Funeral. I recall going in with my wife to be and the lady came up to us looking very solemn (just in case) and then her face broke into a beam when she realised we wanted them as wedding cars.

Compared to the Limo's mine was a bit of a knacker really but it took us wherever we wanted to go.

And another one of John Weston in the '40's. And Tom, what you said about every schoolboy's dream. John was also an engineer at Austen and Rover, and worked on the Short Stirling Bomber, and went on a training mission on that plane.

Ann

Cheers Ann show us some more if you have 'em great :)shows how small cars were before the mini ...in that one I think compact is the word LOL:)the other thing I noticed were the cars on grass:rolleyes:

Back