• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old buildings on newtown row

Sugar

master brummie
Theres a lovely old building on Lancaster street newtown row that I remember going to when I was a child to have my teeth checked and also to have a sugar cube which I presume was for polio It must have been some sort of childrens clinic back in the 60s the building is still there but the only information i have is that it is called 90 Lancaster street which is on the building which i find strange but it does have to sculptures either side of the door relating to mothers and baby which were done by William bloye in 1935.i would love to find out when the building was built and what for .Was it a small hospital or clinic .They have some photos of it on flicker.com but as I am not computer savvy like most of the members i could not download them to the forum.

hi sugar i have admired this building many times...as you say no 90 lancaster st at the corner with price st...at a guess i would say it was built in the 1930s but cant be certain...would agree with you about it being a welfare clinic for children...if mikejee or someone else spots this post maybe they could do kellys look up just to confirm what it was used for..i have an idea its still in use but no idea what for...street view below just click on the link

lyn

The sugar-cube vaccine was Sabin's Vaccine, which replaced the Salk vaccine which was administered by a drop into the open mouth - the method I received, but I can't remember having that done at the centre at 90 Lancaster St. However, I do remember going there with my aunt and small cousin so he could be given the 'sugar-cube' vaccine. He didn't much care for it....

Polio was very bad news in the 40's and 50's, and I was at primary school with a boy who had to wear the dreaded leg-irons.

G

i clearly recall being given the sugar lump at our doctors in gt king st

lyn

hi sugar i have admired this building many times...as you say no 90 lancaster st at the corner with price st...at a guess i would say it was built in the 1930s but cant be certain...would agree with you about it being a welfare clinic for children...if mikejee or someone else spots this post maybe they could do kellys look up just to confirm what it was used for..i have an idea its still in use but no idea what for...street view below just click on the link

lyn

I can vaguely remember the building from my bus journey to town from Perry Barr in the late 60's - I followed the street level link along New Town Row and was slightly shocked that the stretch between Gosta Green and the Bartons Arms is totally unrecognisable to me now!!

90 Lancaster Street is listed in 1940 Kelly's as: City of Birmingham Maternity & Child Welfare Centre

According to Historic England:
"The Lancaster Street Child Welfare Centre opened in July 1935. It provided a range of services, including an ultra violet light clinic, remedial exercise classes for toddlers and children, dental treatment, a kitchen providing dinners for mothers and children, and a Parents’ Guidance Clinic. The building also housed a venereal disease clinic for women and children on the first floor. In 1941 more than 500 children and infants were seen at the centre, and over 1,000 antenatal visits to the centre were made by mothers."

There are quite a number of photgraphs of the use of the building here https://archive.historicengland.org.uk/results/Results.aspx?t=Quick&cr=med01&io=False&l=all&page=235

Last edited:
90 Lancaster Street is listed in 1940 Kelly's as: City of Birmingham Maternity & Child Welfare Centre

According to Historic England:
"The Lancaster Street Child Welfare Centre opened in July 1935. It provided a range of services, including an ultra violet light clinic, remedial exercise classes for toddlers and children, dental treatment, a kitchen providing dinners for mothers and children, and a Parents’ Guidance Clinic. The building also housed a venereal disease clinic for women and children on the first floor. In 1941 more than 500 children and infants were seen at the centre, and over 1,000 antenatal visits to the centre were made by mothers."

There are quite a number of photgraphs of the use of the building here https://archive.historicengland.org.uk/results/Results.aspx?t=Quick&cr=med01&io=False&l=all&page=235
Thank you for the information you have sent down the pictures were great I was looking to see if my mum was in them you never know she could of been but sadly she was not . I had to laugh at the picture of the dentist room it must of frightened many a person it reminds me of the film 10 rillington place where Christie murdered women in his room !!!

My work colleague had a job in this building in 2008 on nights. His role was to ensure the residents came in by 11pm before the doors were locked. It was a centre for people with drug and alcohol problems, they were housed there for support. By 11 pm most were drunk according to my colleague. Have no idea what it is used for now despite searching.

Any one remember the centre at 79 Marsh Lane Erdington?
Yes I do. In the late 1950's and early 1960's my Mum used to walk myself and my baby sister ( in her pram)down there. We went to get my sister weighed at the clinic, also to have our vaccinations and polio sugar lump. I remember by the time I was about 6 I had a school friend Sandra Monk who lived on the opposite side of Marsh lane from the clinic. I think we also sometimes got her weighed at the Chemists at either Stockland Green or Erdington.

Back