• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Bromford Lane

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Not posted for some time but I've come across this postcard again on eBay which states it as Bromford Lane. It seems to be from a publisher - Hicgs (?) in Alum Rock.

Having been born in Bromford Lane I'd love to know where abouts this could have been taken.

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

Hello to everyone after a LOOONG time!
Lost photo replaced

index.php
Bromford Lane 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi davie i was born in st margarets rd in 50s as a kid we run very free we played in the clay pit all the time my mom worked at the golf ball factory in the war, this rd may be from off the bromford rd opersit the top end of st margs rd were a friend of my mom lived but that rd went round to the left and up a slite hill, the best way to fine this is to get a map from the libary of the same time line and you should find it as i have done a pic study on b,ham for 10 yrs this is the way i found all the rd,s that are no longer ,best of luck.

Thanks for your replies. I did try to research it a few years ago but got nowhere. Now you've pointed me in the right direction. I'm in Birmingham next week so I'll try to get to the map department in the library.
Cheers!

hi dav got your note and i did find it the lane is the old bromford lane and if you can find the map for it , it is the lane that lies between st margarets rd and st margarets av that being on the other side of the rd the gate in the photo go's into a open field sorry i cant' send you maps as i have not found my way round this site yet, if there is any thing else you wish to know about call me from the age of 11 we moved to duddiston .mark

Thanks again Drako.
Cheers Mike for the map (as usual!):fat:
What's always thrown me was that the postcard always just read "Bromford Lane" rather than "Old" Bromford Lane. I was very familiar with the main Bromford having been born and grew up there but for some reason I never ventured up OLD Bromford Lane.
Mystery solved and I can sleep easy!

This is a image from a Birmingham map c1948-50. It shows Old Bromford Lane a bit clearer. Sorry the picture is small. The lane is to the left and lower than the number 34.

Not sure why pic has appeared twice.

Old Bromford Lane.jpg

Attachments

• Old Bromford Lane.jpg
    Old Bromford Lane.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 23
Back